weird egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heather112588, Apr 14, 2011.

1. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    All of my girls are brown egg layers, but today i found a cream colored egg in their coop [​IMG] . Does that normally happen? Is there something that their diet is lacking?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    no. it happens. After the long winter lay off one girl laid eggs that looked like chocolate. I thought I had a maran. but no, just the buff orpingtons playing with my mind. In the beginning they all were brown, then I got everything from almost white, to brown with dark brown spots, to pinkish eggs with white spots. I have shinny brown and flat brown and every once in a while a striped egg will show up.
    I also noticed that the ear color of my hens started to change as the egg color changed.
    hatchery hens.

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote:You notice the ear color change? Wow, I thought I was bad. [​IMG]

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I have 3 Red Star pullets that have just started laying. The lighter chicken lays the darkest eggs (light chocholate). The darker chicken lays the lightest eggs (pinkish tan). My older hens go from medium brown to light brown to pinkish on any given day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by