Weird egg day yesterday. One no shell followed by odd behavior. Help?

JukeboxJenny

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Woodlake, CA
*** Update: I just went out to grab her to check to see if she’s eggbound and there was an egg under her she’s just camped out in the box. 🤷🏼‍♀️ So at least there’s that. I still don’t know who laid the soft egg but hopefully it’s not a worry.

Yesterday my son let the chickens out to free range before I went out so I have no clue who, but one of the ladies laid an egg with no shell. Not in the nesting boxes so I thought maybe it was my one pullet that hasn’t laid yet? It was also bigger than my 3 other pullets eggs that all just started laying within the last couple weeks, so I thought maybe my one older hen but I ended up getting an egg from her.
Regardless, I wasn’t concerned, I know it happens. I also noticed what looked like a little bit of yolk dripped on the poop under where they roost. Minorly concerned about that but haven’t seen any more so...?
Later my EasterEgger was in the box for ages but no egg. And she and one other didn’t lay yesterday at all.
Again, not hugely concerning, but starting to be a lot of not typical for one day.
This morning I went out and the Easter Egger was in the box. Came out over an hour later and she’s still in there. No egg. And no one else has laid yet today.
I’m starting to wonder if I should be concerned?
They all get later pellets and scratch. I got the wrong food this time so the calcium and protein are a little high but I was told to “cut” it with the grains until this bag runs out and it shouldn’t be a problem. They also get black fly larvae which adds calcium and protein.
Am I worrying for nothing?

Last edited:
Yesterday my son let the chickens out to free range before I went out so I have no clue who, but one of the ladies laid an egg with no shell. Not in the nesting boxes so I thought maybe it was my one pullet that hasn’t laid yet? It was also bigger than my 3 other pullets eggs that all just started laying within the last couple weeks, so I thought maybe my one older hen.
Regardless, I wasn’t concerned, I know it happens.
But later my EasterEgger was in the box for ages but no egg. And she and one other didn’t lay yesterday at all.
Again, not hugely concerning, but starting to be a lot of not typical for one day.
This morning I went out and the Easter Egger was in the box. Came out over an hour later and she’s still in there. No egg. And no one else has laid yet today.
I’m starting to wonder if I should be concerned?
They all get later pellets and scratch. I got the wrong food this time so the calcium and protein are a little high but I was told to “cut” it with the grains until this bag runs out and it shouldn’t be a problem. They also get black fly larvae which adds calcium and protein.
Am I worrying for nothing?
I would check her for an egg that is stuck in her vent, as that’s what they normally act like when that happens.

They all get later pellets and scratch. I got the wrong food this time so the calcium and protein are a little high but I was told to “cut” it with the grains until this bag runs out and it shouldn’t be a problem
What is the protein and calcium percentages of the layer feed?

It can take up to a month or so for new layers to get things smoothed out.

Ok, I’ll check her after she gets out of the box. Her other behavior has been totally normal otherwise which is why I thought maybe it wasn’t a stuck egg, but it’s worth a try.
What is the protein and calcium percentages of the layer feed?

It can take up to a month or so for new layers to get things smoothed out.
Hopefully that’s it!

Attachments

• F2D66E2E-6E57-4543-8951-AD1C87EE4792.jpeg
    F2D66E2E-6E57-4543-8951-AD1C87EE4792.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Protein should be fine, calcium seems high tho.
Wish I could read the rest of tag, say it should be mixed with.....??
What formulation is it?
I don’t know. It says it’s for poultry but likely mixed poultry. I believe it says to mix with grains which is what I’ve been doing. But it also says in there that it’s complete and needs no supplement so it’s super unclear. I actually made a whole post about it cuz I wasn’t sure if I should give it to them. Lol!

So I already know it’s not what I want to feed them. The guy at the feed store gave me the wrong bag but had it loaded before I realized and I didn’t want to bring it all the way back. But I can’t imagine one bag will do too much damage. And it’s about gone so I can go back to my usual feed.

Back
Top Bottom