Weird egg, inside & out

wild chick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Southern NM mountains @ 6400'
I have a 6 year old hen, laid normal eggs until last year, then began laying a roundish egg with a very thin shell. I didn't think much about it but this year it's getting worse, it's almost round with one side flatter than the other, and it has brown spots on the outside and brown "floaters" in the white. The shell is so thin that sometimes it will break in the nest. I quit eating them long time ago, when I get a few (she lays about 3 - 4 a week) I scramble/cook them for the dogs. My other hens eggs are just fine. I don't suppose I'm looking to fix it, just curious what might cause it and make sure it's safe for the dogs, LOL.

fullsizeoutput_688.jpeg
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3263.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG

just curious what might cause it and make sure it's safe for the dogs, LOL.
Thin shells caused by aging reproductive shell gland, etc.. (in THIS instance, according to description and presuming nutrition is on point)

The brown floaters are little pieces of reproductive tract sloughing off known as meat spots.. considered safe to eat if not desirable. Completely safe for the dogs, more digestible cooked.

See description listed in following article..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

She *might* benefit from a calcium citrate supplement.. hopefully none will break inside her.

Thin shells caused by aging reproductive shell gland, etc.. (in THIS instance, according to description and presuming nutrition is on point)

The brown floaters are little pieces of reproductive tract sloughing off known as meat spots.. considered safe to eat if not desirable. Completely safe for the dogs, more digestible cooked.

See description listed in following article..
Very informative, thank you! Since she's eating the same as all the others, I was assuming a personal problem in the calcium absorption or reproductive tract. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom