Weird egg laying behavior

lbartsch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
So my 6 month old RIR started laying earlier this month, which is awesome. But she lays her eggs at like 10:30 or 11am and in the weirdest places, which stinks. First of all I sometimes can't find them or she lays them in our neighbor's yards. Second, she lays them at a time when no one is home and egg-stealing birds, mice or other creatures can come get them. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks.
Lynn

Most people recommend keeping them cooped when girls come into laying, that way they know the coop is where the nests are and head back there when they feel the urge. I use golf balls in my nests which helped them figure out (most of them at least) a nest, not a corner is a good spot to lay.

BTW, my rir didn't start laying first thing in the morning until she was a month in.

It is really good to know that your hen didn't start laying first thing in the morning right away. I leave them closed in the coop (with food and water) until kind of late in the morning so once she starts laying first thing, she'll have no choice but to lay there. I'll try the golf balls too. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom