weird egg "mishap" - it continues...

see, she's acting broody....but she doesn't have any eggs to act broody over...

I don't know what to do. We should be getting more hen this Wednesday...I just wish she'll be better by that time.

Maybe, well, first it's the heat that is causing the shell-less eggs. Then she is probably broody, as well. They do stop laying if they're broody, and go into this like trance/lethargic state, and get pale on and off. I would put an egg down for her and see if she sets on it.

I agree with them. I know this is your pst but I have an egg misshap as well I have a question about. Today my oldest boy goes out to look for eggs and finds one layed by the door to my coop. This is an egg from our RIR and she didn't lay it in the box as she usually does. The unusual thing about this is that she has stopped being as dependable as she nomally is. Usually she lays an egg a day. Now this is her first in like three or more days and it looked to be coated with the membrane of another egg? It had to be peeled off to get to the shelled egg. Anyone know what this may be?I wish I would have taken a picture of it but too late now. This edited to get someone to see it.

Last edited:
can you hear me now? :

I agree with them. I know this is your pst but I have an egg misshap as well I have a question about. Today my oldest boy goes out to look for eggs and finds one layed by the door to my coop. This is an egg from our RIR and she didn't lay it in the box as she usually does. The unusual thing about this is that she has stopped being as dependable as she nomally is. Usually she lays an egg a day. Now this is her first in like three or more days and it looked to be coated with the membrane of another egg? It had to be peeled off to get to the shelled egg. Anyone know what this may be?I wish I would have taken a picture of it but too late now. This edited to get someone to see it.

Wow that's pretty odd. I never heard of anything like that.​

I am new to broody hens but I had two of mine go broody within the past 2 months. They do not care if they are just sitting on straw or eggs, they just want to sit. I was scared that the first was egg bound b/c she spent so much time on the nest with nothing to show for it. I just watched them for the signs of being egg-bound like waddling or tucking their tail feathers down. I finally settled on them just being broody and they were. However, your situation is a little different due to the unusual laying of a shell-less egg. Just pay very close attention to her. It wouldn't hurt to put her in a sinkful of warm water for a little while and maybe treat her like she is egg-bound just to be sure. My feeling is it can only help it can't hurt. If she is eggbound doing this may save her and if she isn't it may help to break her broodiness.

Quote:
If she was broody it could take her a while to start laying again. Plus, with the upset of new hens and then the heat it could very well be a combination of things. She won't have any interst in the egg or oyster shells unless she needs the calcium for the egg shells. If she is looking good and eating good I would say you just need to wait and see what happens.

I'm glad your runaway came back!

From Equest94's runaway hen thread.

Back
Top Bottom