weird egg "mishap" - it continues...

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
I originally posted this thread under the wrong topic, so I'm moving it here...

My hen has been laying consistently for a while now; we get about 6 eggs/week from her. Well this past week she has skipped many days and I figured it may be due to stress (we had to move our chickens around quite a bit ) so I didn't think much of it at first. Well, yesterday she was in the coop, still no egg, and I decided to let her out of her run so she could get some actual outside time...that hen booked into our garage (her favorite laying spot) and proceeded to sit on the bale of straw. I checked on her an hour and half later, she didn't squawk or hiss at me like she normally does during egg laying and there was still no egg there. I came back to check on her a little while later, she was off her bale of straw drinking water. She was panting really hard, so I gave her some colder water with a bit of gatorade in it....she drank a lot and then hopped back onto the straw to nest.

This morning she was eating, I checked in her nest and there was a curled puffy egg membrane... it was the same color of her egg shells, but was soft and kind of looked like a "giant chicken poop" in shape. On the floor there was a puddle of what appeared to be egg whites and a little further there was a yolk.

I've had my chickens for a little over a year, but never experienced anything weird with them (until now)...

What happened? What would cause this to happen? Is my hen alright? Will this happen again?

She is on "Layer" feed and also gets additional calcium, so I wouldn't think it would be based on a calcium deficiency... She as been wondering around and eating many of our berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and cherries) - would any of these be considered poisonous? I also occasionally make her some oatmeal (with water, NOT milk) as a treat...

Any insight on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

She did the same thing yesterday morning and today she has been sitting on her nest for HOURS and HOURS and still no "good" egg. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I am getting really worried for her. Is something stuck? This hen has been laying for months and never had a problem, now she had 2 soft eggs in a row and seems to be having trouble laying in general.

I have her on Layer feed which has some calcium pellets in it. I also have calcium powder coated grit to mix into her feed (I'm not sure what the sources of those 'calciums' are). I know our local Tractor Supplies store has oyster shells...should I get her that? And for the record, when I make her her oatmeal, I normally crush up the egg shells from her eggs that I collected and mix those in for her to eat...I figured giving her own calcium back to her would be the best source...

What can be causing this? I know it was mentioned that they do this from time to time, but is it normal to have this many "egg mishaps" in a row? Is her life at risk? What can I do to help her?

Sorry, I just lost another pet a few days ago so now I'm a bit stressed over my hen. I don't wan to lose her too.
sad.png

I can't help because I'm not experienced but I'm posting to assure you that the food you're giving her is all stuff we all feed our girls.

Responding to bump this up...

sometimes, they just lay soft-shelled eggs for a number of reasons, none of which is any indicator that you are doing anything wrong. I had my very first soft-shelled egg a few weeks ago, and I'm feeding layer pellets, oyster shell, grit, oatmeal & yogurt treats, and treats of veggie scraps. My hen took 2 days off and then commenced laying normally (well, her eggs were shaped funny for the first few).

But, if she's laid 2 soft shells in a row, seems like there could be something amiss. Sounds like you're feeding everything you should be. Do you think she's getting enough layer feed? Sometimes, when we love our chickens we feed so many "treats" that they are discouraged from eating the layer feed, which has everything they need to lay nice eggs in it. I'm at a loss otherwise. Sorry - wish I could be more helpful!

Or even just crushed eggshells in a little bin, free-choice. AFAIK hens do have a 'calcium appetite' and will more or less self-regulate calcium intake according to need, given the chance. But they can't do that as well if it is premixed into food.

Good luck,

Pat

I heard that hot weather can cause that. Try ice in her water, shade, a fan, or just plain soak her with a garden hose. Think cool, it might clear things up.

So I tried the tums, I tried the vinegar, took the hose to her, got the oyster shells.... but still.... no egg.

I'm starting to get more worried. She's starting to act lethargic and doesn't eat much. She just stays in her nesting box all day and night, and acts very possessive over her space as if she were laying, but there isn't any egg. I have to snatch her out of there an place her in front of water and food, and she just merely pecks at it...

It's been in the mid-upper 80s and very humid...is this really just due to the heat and she should get better once it cools down, or is there something seriously wrong? Is an egg stuck? What can be the cause of the 2 mishaps eggs and now the seemly infertility?

Back
Top Bottom