Weird egg situation - any advice?

sjmjrgkmg

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2009
A few weeks ago I posted a note that my brown leghorn had laid two eggs without shells, just a leathery membrane, in the night after laying a perfectly normal egg the day before. Since then she has been laying regular eggs, one a day, then no egg yesterday. A little unusual, but I figured she deserved a day off. This morning, directly under where she roosts, I found a huge egg (double yolked, and big even for that) with a leathery membrane and a very small egg with a normal shell. She's my only white egg layer, so I know it's not one of the other two.
Any ideas? This may sound strange, but it's like her body is shedding eggs before they are ready or something. It's also odd for her to lay in the night, she's a regular 10 o'clock kind of gal. She gets normal layer crumbles and I mix oyster shell and crushed egg shell in the scratch, a few table scraps and I also let them free range at least an hour most days. Anyone else have this go on?
Sue

How old is you hen?

The majority of mine are right around 9 months and I still get the occasional soft-shell, no-shell, or very small egg despite layer crumples, extra oyster shell, etc.

I'm assuming its just a normal part of their egg laying cycle and don't get too concerned.

Mine are over a year. It's not even just the soft shell that's puzzling me, but the laying of two eggs at once while roosting.

You know how some women seem to have hormone imbalaces? For example some have more than their share of miscarriages. I think your chicken does too! I don't know what to suggest except feed her right, keep her calm and happy and hope she eventually finds equilibrium.

Back
Top Bottom