Weird egg?

AbbysSilkies

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
588716A8-E42A-49FB-9A43-431B13048DBD.png
So I have 6 bantam hens and 2 bantam roosters, as well as 4 standard hens.
Recently my bantams all turned 6 months old! So my birchen cochin hen lays pale brown eggs, my Silkie hen lays whitish eggs, my Easter eggers lay blue eggs, and while I haven’t caught them “in the act” I got some offwhite eggs that match the egg color that my two porcelain duccles hatched out of. So all six are producing pale or blue eggs. But recently I got two reallllly small eggs with no yolks that are tan? Is it possible one of my roosters is actually a hen?! He hangs out in the nesting box a LOT, even if everyone else already laid, he has a comb but no streamers and he’s really sweet, much more so then the other rooster.
Here are pictures of the small egg next to a bc egg and buff Orpington egg, and rooster

Attachments

• 445A45A6-3F98-41DB-AC0C-17BB89D7C637.jpeg
    445A45A6-3F98-41DB-AC0C-17BB89D7C637.jpeg
    976.7 KB · Views: 14
If your birds have just began laying, then strange looking eggs are completely normal. Nothing to worry about ;)

Has your "mystery chicken" crowed or laid an egg? From the picture it looks like a rooster. Some of my roosters will get in the nesting box and make purring noises, as if to tell the hens that he has found a nest for them.

If your birds have just began laying, then strange looking eggs are completely normal. Nothing to worry about ;)

Has your "mystery chicken" crowed or laid an egg? From the picture it looks like a rooster. Some of my roosters will get in the nesting box and make purring noises, as if to tell the hens that he has found a nest for them.
Yes, he crows and such! The only thing that made me think it was him was that the other chickens all lay a different color egg!

But recently I got two reallllly small eggs with no yolks that are tan?
Did you take pic of these when you opened them?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer.

Think it's explained in this excellent video
Egg Formation Video
(which is worth watching even if it's not explained)

Back
Top Bottom