weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

hello ive gotta ? the other day i found a funny looking egg in the nesting box but it wasnt a normal hard shelled egg it was a soft shelled rubbery egg its not the 1st egg like that that ive got from time to time i get an egg like that what causes eggs to come out like this is it normal ?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That would be a shell-less egg. The rubbery membrane is intact though, and you can still eat them. If you ever noticed, when you peel an egg, that there is a membrane under the shell. Well, the shell just didn't form over the membrane.

This happens alot with newly laying hens, and it's nothing to worry about. I would make sure your chickens are getting a good layer feed, and maybe some crushed oyster shell for extra calcium.

3. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

ohhhhh ok i figured it was a unformed egg that wasnt fully made inside the chicken i ddidnt eat it but now i guess there ok to eat R U sure its safe to eat them funny formed water baloon looking eggs [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I don't eat them because I worry about bacteria getting in. I usually "crack" them over the dry dog food and am rewarded with much wagging of tails. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by