Weird Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by capebird, Feb 18, 2012.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    My hens usually (always) lay their eggs in the nest boxes. Yesterday I found this little "thing" that looked like an egg in their run. I took a picture of it compared to one of their regular sized eggs. At first I wasn't even sure it was an egg. But I cracked it open and it is an egg. Anyone have any insights as to what this is all about. My 4 hens are about 9 months old and have all been laying pretty regularly. Thanks for the help and insights.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of odd things happen with eggs when you have your own chickens. A lot of the time it's just a "burp" in the egg laying system and the chicken goes back to normal laying.

Once in a while I get a soft shelled egg, and I've gotten a very small one maybe 2 or 3 times; one didn't even have a yolk.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, you will get lots of weird eggs. Those are referred to as fart eggs. I've had them with and without yolks. They don't happen that often.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have a couple of those tiny eggs. I save them, storing them away for a while where they won't be disturbed. After awhile they dry up inside and can be displayed.

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I wonder what would happen if you tried to hatch that small egg?

6. teacake

teacake New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Marin County, CA
    I want a fart egg, too! Cool.

7. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Fart eggs? I assumed it was the chickens playing jokes on me. I think they stand and watch to see the look on my face when I find one. They are always worth an amazing amount pondering! - But they have earned a new name. I like "fart eggs" too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by