WEIRD Egg......

Nadiia

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
London
Hi guys... So this morning my Dad went to get the eggs from the hens and this is what he got!!

BTW!!!! I have two hens and one rooster :D The little egg feels like a balloon. It's quite soft and feels like it may pop if you squeeze it to hard..?!

Last edited:
Hey, I just edited the post.. Try now?
Working. :eek:) That small egg is known in the chicken industry as a "fart" egg. Fart eggs are tiny eggs, often yolkless if the hen that laid it hasn't released a yolk yet by the time her body starts producing the shell. In a fart egg, a bit of reproductive tissue breaks off inside the hen's oviduct and triggers the formation of an egg by tricking the hen’s body into thinking the tissue is a yolk.
There is a good article on fart eggs at http://www.gardenbetty.com/2014/08/the-mystery-of-the-teeny-tiny-egg/.

Thanks guys!! Really appreciate it :D this one did have a yolk in it, though it looked more like an embrio with a small white tail teehee! Our eggs are definitely fertile :p

Thanks guys!! Really appreciate it
big_smile.png
this one did have a yolk in it, though it looked more like an embrio with a small white tail teehee! Our eggs are definitely fertile :p

You're welcome, and as bigbruce said, fart eggs happen sometimes, but they are nothing to worry about. :eek:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom