Weird eggs in my girls' poop after coccidiosis medication

Libbynugget

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
As much as posting images of poo online isn't really my thing, this morning I was greeted with this little party in the run!

My three girls are about 3-years-old and have been amazing layers (they're warrens) until a couple of weeks ago. One by one they stopped laying and stared molting more.
Yesterday two of them had very loose poops with a bit of blood in them (the non-bloody one laid an egg). I thought it might be coccisiosis and my local farm shop gave me some Harkers Coxitabs to sort it out (they use it on their chickens too even though it's meant for pigeons)
today they seem fine - wandering about scratching etc - and there's no blood in their poops, just these ugly little egg thingies!
Can anyone confirm what they are? Did they just have worms and the coxitabs flushed them out? Should I medicate them again for worms? Should I disinfect the run? They freerange from 8AM until about 5PM and spend the rest of their time in a hen house and large wire run with concrete base.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks for the advice - I've had them for three years but they're never been ill before!

Those arnt worm eggs. Since they are 3 years old, it wouldnt hurt to worm them anyway. Inspect them for lice/mites. If in fact they are molting, expect egg laying to slow or stop for a time.

Egg laying has dropped off almost completely - two are laying nothing and one lays about once every couple of days. They seem fine in themselves - no weird behaviour other than the lack of eggs. All checked for egg-bound symptoms and they're healthy at that end. They obvioulsy had something nefarious inside them and the coccidiosios meds seem to have flushed it out!

Egg laying has dropped off almost completely - two are laying nothing and one lays about once every couple of days. They seem fine in themselves - no weird behaviour other than the lack of eggs. All checked for egg-bound symptoms and they're healthy at that end. They obvioulsy had something nefarious inside them and the coccidiosios meds seem to have flushed it out!
Agree with Dawg53,what you are seeing is not worms,look like something your girls ate. As for decrease in egg production,heat/molting will cause egg production to drop off,but so will age,your girls are getting to the age when egg production decreases or may stop.

They free range over a pretty big area - I've seen them rip baby rats apart and eat all the soft stuff inside. I wouldn't put it past them to eat some random pile of gross bits of something they found on the floor! I think I'm going to give them a dose of wormer, check for mites and disinfect their run just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom