Weird Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nhnanna, Aug 16, 2008.

1. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I am sure the answer is in these threads somewhere but I can't find and answer so here goes. I got 2 db & 2 jg hens from a neighbor. They both have been very slow in the egg department but thats ok, the others give us enough eggs for eating. When I first got the new ones, I found a leather egg out in the yard that we have penned in for them. I think it was the db that laid it there. Then last week I got a weird looking egg that it seems like the shell is very thin in spots and is very long, then a couple days later, I got another one and then today I got a third one. It looks like they have calcium build up on the pointed end and is thin in the middle. They do have access to oyster shell also so I don't know what else would cause this. They also get layer feed along with garden veggies, bread and crackers. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone esle had this problem? The eggs are fine on the inside, we have been giving them to the dogs mixed in thier food. Here is a link to the pictures of the three eggs in question. I am pretty sure it is the db that is laying them.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/nhnanna/2008_0815WeirdEggs

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    alot of times if they just started laying they will lay like that

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I don't think that these girls are first time layers. I think the neighbor said they were about two years old. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by