Weird feed question

Who922

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Roswell, NM
I know this is going to sound weird. My question is: I bought feed for my chicks the first week I got them. When I got ready to feed them, I noticed it was medicated. I had my chicks vaccinated and they said feeding them medicated feed would counteract the vaccination. So I had to buy new feed. So.........do you think it would be OK to feed my medicated chicken feed to my goats? They will eat anything! Or is that a bad idea?

Definately do NOT give it to your goats. Chicken starter and laying mash can cause lots of issues with goats and their stomachs. I have also never heard of the medicated feed contradicting with the vaccines. The meds in the feed is for cocci so I don't know why it would make a difference. Maybe someone else has heard different and can write in.

After researching, here is what I found:

If you do choose to vaccinate your birds, you shouldn't give the chicks medicated feed. The vaccination requires several cycles of infection, which the medicated feed will prevent. Your chicks won't be harmed, but you will have wasted your money since the vaccine will be nullified.

Thanks for the goat info. How long do you think that feed will keep if I reseal it? I could order my next batch of chicks without the vaccination.

What are your chicks vaccinated for? The only thing the medicated feed is for is cocci. If they are vaccinated for anything else it is fine.

I had them vaccinated for Cocci and Marek's. I thought it was worth it to guard my investment. I only lost two of my order from travel stress. The other 25 are thriving so far!

I think you do not want to give it to goat OR sheep because it has copper in it---which is a No-No for both...if I remember what I was told by a farmer at work...Not sure about the feed and the vaccines though, never heard about that one way or the other. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom