Weird Golden Comet Behavoir

Is she going back to roost to sleep still? If so she is not 100%. If you want to continue on and you can get fertile eggs, then when she won't budge from the nest and grows at you is when to put them under her. It will take 21 days. It takes a lot out of your chicken, it will effect her. It is hard.

Is she going back to roost to sleep still? If so she is not 100%. If you want to continue on and you can get fertile eggs, then when she won't budge from the nest and grows at you is when to put them under her. It will take 21 days. It takes a lot out of your chicken, it will effect her. It is hard.
im not sure i haven’t checked but i think ill just break the broodyness it is almost winter and its been getting as low as 25 as of late so probably not the best idea for her to keep going

im not sure i haven’t checked but i think ill just break the broodyness it is almost winter and its been getting as low as 25 as of late so probably not the best idea for her to keep going
That is probably a good idea. I find once I let my girls sit they are not the same. I'd rather use an incubator any day.

Hopefully she's just auditioning for now. But come spring perhaps she'll commit and you can enjoy some of the hatchlings from your friend's flock! Broodies can keep chicks warm in some pretty cold temps but it's not a fun thing to have a winter broody in a cold environment. Especially if it's wet! One of ours that got chicks in Sept has taught them that rain or wind means they stay in the coop - still mothering at 2 months+ fully feathered and able to be outside. Sigh.

She sounds partially broody but not yet set, so I would not try putting real eggs under her because they probably won't develop, as she's not sitting long enough for them to do so.

Winter is also trickier for hatching since cold, wet weather isn't ideal for it - it can be done, but if you end up having to raise the babies for any reason, it'll be tougher on you to harden them off to temperatures and integrate them in.

So for both reasons above I would try breaking her and seeing if you can snap her out of that half-broody state she seems to be in.

Back
Top Bottom