zaraprod

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
C21D29EC-AA97-40BD-ACE5-47B72888BD26.jpeg
2B033AD8-04D3-4BEE-9E97-F263BC7285EB.jpeg
C3B55F91-D8CF-4EA9-9526-5F80D2815E02.jpeg
C3B55F91-D8CF-4EA9-9526-5F80D2815E02.jpeg
2B033AD8-04D3-4BEE-9E97-F263BC7285EB.jpeg
My Porcelain D’uccle started getting a weird “growth” on her face about a week ago. It’s directly behind her eye and right above her ear. It has dried blood at the center, so at first I thought it was a puncture. I cleaned it well and saw that only the surface had dried blood, like she had been scratching it. I then thought maybe a tick had burrowed in but never did find one. It’s not really red or inflammed but the growth keeps getting bigger and it’s worrying me. Everyday I clean it with an antibacterial soap and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to it.
She doesn’t seem to be feeling ill but I’m very concerned. I’m going to try and post some better pics later because she was not wanting to stand still for me. Any ideas on what this could be?

Just an update for anyone reading this with info on ear infections. The lump is directly behind her ear canal. The canal itself is clear. I didn’t see any signs of mites, fungus or crud/pus. I tried to gently squeeze the lump (she was NOT happy with this) but it’s hard and I couldn’t get anything out of it. The lump itself it swollen tissue, not dried crud so I can’t pick it off. I thoroughly flushed both the canal and lump with peroxide and coated both in triple antibiotic ointment. I also added some Tylan 50 to her water in case this is from a respiratory infection. Any further help on how to treat this would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Chicken pus can be a semi-solid cheese like substance. It's good that the ear canal is clear.
I can only guess this may be due to injury/being pecked, but it would be hard to know.
If you have vet care, that is always best.

The swelling looks like it has a scab? You could try removing the scab and seeing if there is any pus in there to dig or squeeze out. Flush well and pack with triple antibiotic ointment.

The Tylan50 you have is it powdered or injectable?

upload_2018-10-26_0-6-25.png

Back
Top Bottom