Weird Guinea behavior??

Tacswa3

Songster
9 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
I have 2 guineas, most likely a male and female. I can't tell them apart. Breeder did his best in picking out the male and female. Anyway one of them is acting injured or sick but when approached she or he runs and flies fine. She or he just wants to bed down. It did roost on its own last night in the coop but now is just bedded down on the coop floor. Could this be laying behavior? They are less than a year old.

Any ideas?

I have 2 guineas, most likely a male and female. I can't tell them apart. Breeder did his best in picking out the male and female. Anyway one of them is acting injured or sick but when approached she or he runs and flies fine. She or he just wants to bed down. It did roost on its own last night in the coop but now is just bedded down on the coop floor. Could this be laying behavior? They are less than a year old.

Any ideas?
It could be submission behavior as in showing submission to the other guinea.

After breeding season (coming soon) the guineas pair up. When they are out and about, the male will lay down in one place as the hen forages and moves around him in a circular pattern.

If you have a hen, she should begin laying this spring.

It could be submission behavior as in showing submission to the other guinea.

After breeding season (coming soon) the guineas pair up. When they are out and about, the male will lay down in one place as the hen forages and moves around him in a circular pattern.

If you have a hen, she should begin laying this spring.

Interesting.

I believe they are male and female. If they get separated out in the yard the other calls loudly for him/her.

I took a second look a bit ago. I think it is injured or not feeling well. I can get a couple feet away but then it will walk off and lay back down. It wont go out and free range with the others. (chickens). It seems like something is hindering it.

Checked him/her out while roosting. At least he/she could hop on roost. I couldn't see anything obvious but there is something definitely wrong with him/her.

Well it looks like I'm gonna have to cull it later today. Its getting worse and I have no idea what is wrong. I hate for him/her to suffer much longer. When this started the guinea ran decent and flew decent but would bed down after putting distance between you and it. It was able to roost on its own the past couple nights except last night. I picked it up and placed it on the roost but it couldn't keep its balance and fell off.

Back
Top Bottom