Weird half molt thing??

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
I have some some 10 month old hens who are going through what seems like a molt it started with 1 and now there is another 1 doing it they lost their head feather and seemed down but not ill and few weeks later new feathers came and are fully in on one and the other is starting to get new ones. They never lost any body feathers though and from what I read are to young to be molting. The other hens seem fine. Also someone let me know if this is the wrong place for this and I need to post in cures and diseases.

Mine did exactly that. When I first saw it on one of them, I thought her head had shrunk.
I thought mine had had all the feathers ripped off her neck my the rooster at first she dropped all her head and neck feathers in less than to days right before the coldest weather we’ve had all year. The second one hasn’t dropped any yet but the new ones are coming in and at the moment she looks like she has porcupine quills on her head.

I wasn’t aware they could go though a partial molt after 8 months and I’d been told they wouldn’t go through a full molt until next fall. This is my first year keeping chickens so all this is still new to me.

Apparently I'm in the minority that sees neck molts yearly. :) I have always assumed it had something to do with them adjusting the thickness of their coat of feathers, usually to thin it out. But that's just my theory.

Back
Top Bottom