Weird!! I'm so confused - please clear confusion!!!

OurBackyardFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
Pennsylvania
I don't have pictures right this moment, I'll try to get some.

My mother randomly purchased 5 birds from Tractor Supply for my brother (after I warned her not to until she did some research) well, I called and asked Tractor Supply what types of chickens they could have been. Options were 1. Meat bird 2. California White

I told her to keep an eye on them in case they were meat birds. I have never raised them but read that they grew huge quick and could suffer from deformities if they were left to grow which makes me sad that they would suffer. So she gave them to a guy down the road because she didn't want to deal. About a week ago he tells me that they started laying (they were probably around 6 weeks last week I think) and they are robin sized eggs...so I'm confused. What the hell kind of birds are these? They shouldn't be laying at 6 weeks!! And why robin sized? I'm so confused. I'll try to get a picture.

They are not laying at 6 weeks no matter what the breed. He is either joking, finding wild bird eggs, or he has an old layer wandering around laying "fart" eggs.

They are not laying at 6 weeks no matter what the breed. He is either joking, finding wild bird eggs, or he has an old layer wandering around laying "fart" eggs.

After I posted this, I'm thinking he's full of it because how is it even possible?? Then I wondered if maybe they were laying because of being meat birds. But that didn't even really make sense. But thank you for the insight! I thought maybe I was nuts. ;P

Even a meat bird wouldn't lay this early. Yes, they can lay eggs if properly managed, but not before 20 weeks of age.

Yeah I had a feeling he was full of it, my father thinks I'm an idiot and this guy is one of his good friends so they love to "prove me wrong"...I needed some expert advice.
1f609.png
So thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom