1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Weird insect eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jettgirl24, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I came home from a camping trip this weekend to find weird insect eggs all over the bird netting that covers my run. They are tiny and round in clusters, some clusters are white while others are brown. We think we saw some that had hatched and they kind of look like teeny tiny worms that are hanging from little silk like strings. I checked my girls all over and don't see anything on them... Any ideas about what these are and if they're harmful to the birds? I think I'm going to replace the netting to be safe and give the girls and the run a good dust down with DE but I'd really like to know what they are. I tried to take some pictures but unfortunately I couldn't get the camera to focus enough to see them.

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Sounds like they'll be a great treat for the girls!

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Seem like some sort of caterpillar. Maybe they're inchworms, though those are normally green...

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I wouldn't replace anything, they are likely moth caterpillars and most likely not dangerous at all.

5. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Nice! Now that I had an idea of what to look up I think you guys are right, they look like moth eggs of some kind. How excited will the girls be when they turn into caterpillars!!! There are SO many eggs, they will be stuffed [​IMG]

6. annageckos

annageckos Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I have to agree, some type of caterpillar. The first thing that came to my mind where inchworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by