Weird looking eye...

backyardmenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Kansas
I posted this yesterday in a different section, and nobody replied, so I guess I'll try it here.
hide.gif

I have a rooster with an eye that looks weird. It's like the pupil covers the top half of the eye ball, and the color portion is on the bottom. He's a nice roo, but I'm wondering if he'll pass this characteristic on. I don't believe he has sight on that side (though he seems to be able to spot me well enough and comes running over for treats
roll.png
) and I'd hate to produce a new generation of half blind offspring. Any ideas on what causes this and if it's genetic?
82486_100_2518.jpg

I think this roo is blind it that eye. I have had mine get into a fight and loose a eye and it looks like that. Just love him. He is pretty.

Have you had him since he was a chick or did you buy him this way as an adult? My "guess" would be that is an old injury and nothing genetic.

I bought him as an adult, so it could be an injury. I know he was shown as a cockerel... so I guess at some point his eye must have been normal. I just thought it odd that it doesn't look damaged, it looks like the pupil and iris are just in the wrong places.

It doesn't look like the normal eye worm, but maybe someone else that knows about eye worms could look at it.

Back
Top Bottom