Weird looking eye...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backyardmenagerie, Apr 30, 2011.

1. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Songster

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    I posted this yesterday in a different section, and nobody replied, so I guess I'll try it here. [​IMG]

I have a rooster with an eye that looks weird. It's like the pupil covers the top half of the eye ball, and the color portion is on the bottom. He's a nice roo, but I'm wondering if he'll pass this characteristic on. I don't believe he has sight on that side (though he seems to be able to spot me well enough and comes running over for treats [​IMG] ) and I'd hate to produce a new generation of half blind offspring. Any ideas on what causes this and if it's genetic?
    [​IMG]

2. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    So I take it no one has seen this before? [​IMG] I guess I'll see what he produces, then, and hope that he doesn't pass it on.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Songster

Nov 8, 2009
    Any way to post a close up of the eye?

4. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Does this help? I can take more pictures if need be.
    [​IMG]

5. cecilia1959

cecilia1959 In the Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    I think this roo is blind it that eye. I have had mine get into a fight and loose a eye and it looks like that. Just love him. He is pretty.

6. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Have you had him since he was a chick or did you buy him this way as an adult? My "guess" would be that is an old injury and nothing genetic.

7. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    I bought him as an adult, so it could be an injury. I know he was shown as a cockerel... so I guess at some point his eye must have been normal. I just thought it odd that it doesn't look damaged, it looks like the pupil and iris are just in the wrong places.

8. Britney

Britney Songster

Mar 1, 2010
    It doesn't look like the normal eye worm, but maybe someone else that knows about eye worms could look at it.

9. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    cross eyed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by