Weird lump on foot (pics)

HayHays97

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Hey guys,
My hen has this lump on the side of her foot, now before you say Bumblefoot, she only recently had Bumblefoot on that same foot, but the lump went down and the scab went away, this lump has a scab but its not black like Bumblefoot. (Pictures below)
I have a feeling that the medication she was given for the Bumblefoot has caused the scab because the vet said the liquid she gave us sometimes burns. We also put cream on it. Unfortunatly we can't take her to the vet because her vet is away.
So if there is anything you can suggest, or if you know what it is please let me know.
Thank-you :)

Yes, looks like bumblefoot, which commonly recurs, depending on how you treat it. I would suggest this time to use TricideNeo. You can search for discussion of this on other threads. No surgery involved. Just soak a few minutes per day for about a week. I used it successfully last year, and saw no recurrence. Hen still running happily around the yard.

Yes, looks like bumblefoot, which commonly recurs, depending on how you treat it.  I would suggest this time to use TricideNeo. You can search for discussion of this on other threads.  No surgery involved.  Just soak a few minutes per day for about a week.  I used it successfully last year, and saw no recurrence.  Hen still running happily around the yard.
Janine, when you used to neo how bad was the infection? I wanted so badly for it to work for mine but I think mine was too advanced.

Hi Welasharon,

When I started the TricideNeo soaks, my hen's foot looked pretty much like the photo you see in the 7th post on this thread:
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7985619&start=0

That is not my photo, but it is about what mine looked like. Mine might have been slightly less swollen, but there were 2 black marks, so I would say my hen's case was of similar severity. Did you try the TricideNeo? If so, for how long? What did your bird's foot look like when you started? Did it improve at all?

Hi Welasharon,

When I started the TricideNeo soaks, my hen's foot looked pretty much like the photo you see in the 7th post on this thread:
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7985619&start=0

That is not my photo, but it is about what mine looked like.  Mine might have been slightly less swollen, but there were 2 black marks, so I would say my hen's case was of similar severity.  Did you try the TricideNeo?  If so, for how long?  What did your bird's foot look like when you started?  Did it improve at all?
My hen's were worse. I tried to cut it out but could not get it all. She eventually had red swells up between the toes on the tops of her feet. After I realized I did not get it all I tried the soak for a month but all it seemed to do was calm the worst of the inflamation but did not seem to do anything about the "bumbles" so I finally found an exotic pet vet that would work on her. Within a week of the surgery she was almost all clear. Each foot had an incision on the bottom and an incision between each toe on the top. One of the bottoms got a bit of secondary infection with some rain that she stood in so I started soaking it in epsoms salts and used neosporin. She is now clear but it was a fight.

Yikes, sounds awful, but it is great that it eventually cleared with the 2nd surgery. I wonder if your 1st attempt at surgery actually spread the infection around in her foot? It is disappointing to hear that Tricide didn't work. So you are right, it is prudent to keep an eye out and try to catch these things while before they get really bad.

Yikes, sounds awful, but it is great that it eventually cleared with the 2nd surgery.  I wonder if your 1st attempt at surgery actually spread the infection around in her foot?  It is disappointing to hear that Tricide didn't work.  So you are right, it is prudent to keep an eye out and try to catch these things while before they get really bad.
I don't think it spread it so much as it simply will not clear up unless you get it all out. The bumble or the core plug that people talk about. Mine had three of these in each foot. Since then I had one young tolbunt polish that had a tiny spot that look abrased and was a touch pink and I took her in and soaked her in epsom salts water for a few days till it cleared. I am hoping to head it off from now on.

Thank you, we will keep treating it, but i didn't think it would be because the scab isn't black like I thought it was supposed to be.

The scab is dark - close enough. Bumblefoot is an abscess. What you see is a big swelling with a dark scab. Exact color not important. You say she had it before - it often recurs. I don't know what kind of cream you are using, but the only treatments I know of that work with any reliability, are surgery and TricideNeo. You can google for other threads on these treatments.

Back
Top Bottom