Weird places to lay eggs...

shortgrass

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 14, 2015
Northern Colorado
I have a hen that follows me everywhere, always right ony heels no matter where I go... We have an old camper in the garden, kindof an oasis when it's hot etc.... This hen had been bugging me to let her in... I mean, BUGGING me; flying up to the windows, flying to the top, trying to clsw through the screen door....

I was curious, so I went ahead and let her in....

She immediateky made herself comfy....and an hour later, left me a gift lol...

Of course, now she wants in all the time, so I have to physically carry her back to the coop when she gets antsy and tries to get in... I started a bad habit I now get to break lol... But it made me wonder....

Where is the weirdest place your hens have decided they need to lay?

I don't know if anywhere else could really top that!

Mine lay eggs on the top of the five gallon bucket that was turned into their waterer.
1f610.png

My new chicken (4-1/2 months old) started laying eggs on a cozy chair with 3 pillows on our patio. I need to take a picture. We do have 3 nesting boxes in the coop, but I guess they aren’t as comfy... ;)

One of my Ameraucanas lays wherever she can find a place to stand - found my GLW slurping up yolk from a nest box several weeks back, and recently she got scared and didn't even sit down on the roost to pop out a snake egg (that broke on impact with the coop floor), which was immediately followed by clumps of pigmented calcium. She's a weird layer in general, but man, that snake egg made me laugh!

My Barred Rock free range birds just changed their spot for the fifth time. Took me a few days to find it this time. The runoff from their manure has caused wild Blackberry bushes that normally only grow 2 feet tall to grow up to 7 feet and then all fall over and continue growing. I had to carve a path through the stickers to get to the eggs once I found them.
They're still using the spot, for now.

Maybe dumb question - What does it mean to pop out a snake egg?

One of my Ameraucanas lays wherever she can find a place to stand - found my GLW slurping up yolk from a nest box several weeks back, and recently she got scared and didn't even sit down on the roost to pop out a snake egg (that broke on impact with the coop floor), which was immediately followed by clumps of pigmented calcium. She's a weird layer in general, but man, that snake egg made me laugh!

Back
Top Bottom