Weird poop-pic

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
My 1 1/2 week old barred rocks are pooping like this:

5797687990_d23a3fe43f.jpg

They've been doing this pretty consistently. They are at about 85-90 degrees, act fine.

Any ideas? The orpingtons don't look like that at all

Can't wait to see the replies. Mine occasionally are leaving poops like that as well, but everyone is eating, drinking and running around having a great time, so I wasn't freaking out about it....yet
wink.png

Thanks, but she poops like that most of the time, not every once in a while. I'll check out the poop page.

That is normal. The following is from Poultry Hub...

Waste (faeces)
The remainder of the material consisting of waste and undigested food are mixed with the urine in the cloaca and eliminated from the body as faeces. The appearance of the faeces varies considerably, but typically is a rounded, brown to grey mass topped with a cap of white uric acid from the kidneys. The contents of the caeca are also discharged periodically as discrete masses of brown, glutinous material.
•The average daily production of faeces from laying hens is between 100 and 150 grams. These fresh droppings are approximately 75% water and will air dry under favourable conditions to approximately 30% water.

And here is the web page it is from.

http://www.poultryhub.org/anatomy-and-physiology/digestive-system/

As they get a little older you will probably see more of the 'regular' faeces versus this 'brown, glutinous material'.

Last edited:
Tracyree: Im not an expert at chicken keeping at ALL, but my experience so far is that some birds do more normal poop than caecal and some do more caecal than normal poops.

My Welsummer has 50/50 I'd say while the others have 75% normal vs 25% caecal poops. I have no idea why the Welsummer has more caecal poops. Maybe she doesnt and I just happen to catch her at it and not the others?

Regardless, I've learned theres a wide range of whats considered normal in chickens. Again, Id listen to those with more experience over me but its my two cents that unless her poops look like one of the "abnormal" poops on that poop page, then she's okay. Smelly, but okay. Lol

No need to get anxious. My girls were popping like as well and it looked it was with each poop, but as they've grown their poop has started to look like regular chicken poop...and they're as healthy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom