Weird pullet poop -- need advice, please

egoodfel

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2021
I have two laying ISA Browns, plus three new Ameraucana pullets. They've consistently had yellow or green runny feces, on and off, in their two weeks with us. They are separated but not quarantined from the older chickens, one of whom had a runny poop today too. It's quite hot here, and they all seem thirsty, which could be a factor, as could stress or new food, but I'm also worried about disease. Poo photo below.

Could anyone hazard a guess what's going on, or share what they'd do in this situation? Thank you!

chickenpoo.jpeg

Last edited:
No greens, just grower feed. I don't have a great sense of their baseline water drinking yet, but they seem very eager to drink when I refill their water. It's hot here.

Welcome to BYC. It could be normal if they are drinking a lot. Make sure they have more than one waterer available. If you would like to check for worms or coccidiosis, you could ask your vet to do a fecal float on some fresh droppings? What are you feeding them? Are their crops filling up during the day and emptying by the next morning? Have you checked them for lice and mites on their skin? Keeping them quarantined for a month and washing your hands between the flocks is a good way to prevent and spreading of disease while you are observing them.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure how to assess their crops, but they don't show any signs of mites or lice. Their poop seems more normal from overnight, so I'm cautiously optimistic it was just the hot weather and lots of water.

Back
Top Bottom