weird question about eggs

asthrngal89

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Kelly, NC
I have three white silkies and one black silkie rooster my hens have been laying eggs and I have been collecting for a week or so now...is it possible to put them in an incuator and try to hatch them or are they bad I have not refridgerated them?

Have you seen then mate? If so try the eggs and see. If not I would just be eating the eggs for another few weeks and then they should for sure be fertile.

Just as an experiment I put two eggs from the fridge in the last hatch I did to see if they would develop. (I should have candled first cause one had a wonky air cell and I would not have used it if I had checked first.) The wonky one started to develop but didn't get very far before it quit. The other was developing good rocking at day 19, but didn't hatch. When I did the eggtopsy it was fully developed, in position yolk absorbed and I don't know why it died. I couldn't figure it out. It was one of two turken chicks that developed all the way and didn't hatch. So, yes, I would try it if they are fertile.

Some say a week to try hatch after a week usely not worth trying -how ever you could possibly eat them after a week and save fresh ones to hatch !

IF, I had no option for collecting more eggs from a given pair, for example, if the hen or rooster was taken by a predator, and I wanted to continue that line, I'd try setting eggs and have a fairly reasonable "hope" that they would hatch up to 10 days old. And, If really desperate, as an experiment, I'd set an egg up to 2 weeks old. But, your best bet is 7 days or less. If they've been stored properly, they are more apt to hatch. You do not want to put your eggs in the fridge if you intend to hatch them.

Florida
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom