Weird Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by breezy, May 2, 2011.

1. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I have a 2 year old buff orpington. Today she stood by my back door and made this kind of strangled crowing sound. I stood at the window and watched for a few minutes as she did it. She would make that sound then stare at the back door. After the 4th time she did it I went outside to see if there was something wrong with her and she came running up and squatted for me. I know it sounds weird but it appeared as if she was calling for me. Anybody ever have a hen do this? She comes running anytime she sees me and follows me around the yard as I do yardwork. She also nips at my pants if I ignore her . She seems to be pretty attached to me and Ive been gone for the better part of 2 days. I dont know if Im misreading her actions today or if she was calling for me because I hadn't been around. She hasnt done this back door calling/crowing thing before.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Hmmm.... If she follows you, maybie she sees you as her rooster. And if she sees you as her rooster maybie it was some kind of chicken breeding call? I REALLY don't know, I'm just brain storming here [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separation anxiety. I'm betting she does the same thing tomorrow. If you go out to her, she will decide that she has you properly trained.[​IMG]

4. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    Oh heavens - she misses you!

I have two horses in particular who will call me. One just calls straight out loud to me, and I know she's calling me because the sound is different from other whinnies she makes. I come out of the house and she's standing at the gate, staring at me. She wants out to roam around.

My gelding doesn't have to say anything - I just get "The Feeling" - look out the window and sure enough, he's at the fence, staring at the house ... I feel the brain waves - "woooo, woooo, woooo" they hit me! He, too, wants out to roam around.

The other 6 horses do not do anything like this.

I think it's cool! I love "animal communication" - aren't we lucky?? [​IMG]

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    my two BO are like dogs and yes they call me too, I just love it

6. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Awwwww! She loves u! My Polly is that way, but not quite as much, and I love her, too!

7. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My little bantam hen will stare in the door till I let her in, she was an only chicken for a few years and bonded with me and not the other chickens so I think your girl Loves you [​IMG]

8. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Well I think you all are right. She is calling for me. She did it again today when I let her out to roam the yard and then went back in the house . Pretty cool I never knew chickens would do that

9. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    Quote:Well, I am of the opinion that if humans would slow down long enough and put the effort towards understanding animal behaviors, we would be aware of all SORTS of the coolest connections! I think because we are all so busy, we sometimes forget to tune in to those (animals and people alike) around us. I know I do!

Here's another short story for the "Pretty cool" file -

I study and practice natural horsemanship (the "horse whisperer" stuff) and was so in tune one morning with one of my Gypsy Vanner horses named Keavy, that the most wonderful thing occurred:

She and I were standing next to one another a good 30 feet away from the horse trailer - the back door was wide open because I was going to practice trailer loading with a different horse later that day. Out of the blue, I got her attention, and "sent" my internal energy and focus forward to the trailer. Keavy looked at the trailer, and it was as if she said, "The trailer? Oh! Okay."

And she trotted her cute self that 30 feet and straight onto the trailer. I had no rope, no halter - nothing on her, and didn't move my feet. I stayed where I was. I looked around to see if anybody was around to see that - nobody, but I jumped up and down anyway!

Now THAT'S a cool connection!

I love me some Keavy! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    that is so sweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by