Weird Roo Behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ace6175, Sep 20, 2009.

1. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Yesterday one of my BR laid her first egg! [​IMG] While she was in the nest box, the rooster was in there with her. Was he coaching her? Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

2. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    I don't know about coaching but we have a Roo that does this and it is more like barking orders. My one girl will try to get up and he shoo's her back.

3. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Hoss has done this for some of our hens. It seemed like he was offering encouragement as well as protection.

Here he just stands while the black australorp lays and the buff orpington also seemed to be clucking and encouraging her.

[​IMG]

4. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:We have fifteen Buff Orp hens and one roo. Since he likes to think he's in charge, I tell him how many eggs there are for the day whenever I collect. They don't get their sunflower-seed treat before bed if they lay less than six. "Only four eggs, Brinski. If you want seeds, you better get a couple of your hens in here pretty soon."

5. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    And today I heard him singing the egg song after one of the hens sand it! [​IMG]

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I watched one of my buff rock roosters get in the nest box yesterday, and there were no hens in with him. He was "crooning" the whole time. Finally one of the non-laying pullets went in there with him and then came back out. He eventually came out but stayed up on the edge of the box continuing to croon his song. I don't know if he was luring them up there or what. Never heard one do this before, but I haven't had these buff rock guys long. I have two of them. One is definitely the dominant roo, but they don't fight. In fact the two of them will break up hen fights. Unfortunately, when it's mating time, they tag-team the hens, so we have to figure out a cure for that or the poor girls will be worn out!

7. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    Mine does that also! He sits in the nest box and tries to attract one of the hens. I've seen him do it a couple of times. Maybe I should've named him Romeo![​IMG]

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

9. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    I don't have roos but I heard the egg song today went to the coop. Had 1 RIR and 1 BR out of nest boxes singing another in the nest box NOT singing. RIR and BR looked like they were singing to each other. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by