Weird (scrambled?) egg?

lovesgliders

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Maine
I got an egg from my hens the other day that looked kind of weird on the outside (half of it was stained, like where it was nestled in the bedding) but not alarmingly so. I brought it inside with the others and didn't think much of it.

Two days later, I cracked it into a bowl and instead of a clearly defined yolk and white, it was like it was all scrambled inside! I tentatively smelled it and I think it smelled a little funny but not rotten or anything (the smell didn't knock me down). I threw it out, just to be safe.

I gather eggs daily so it couldn't have been old. Thoughts? I just got another stained egg this morning along with five normal ones, and I'm nervous to break it open. LOL

Sometimes they will lay weird eggs :) Ive never had that happen to me before, though! Ive had a hen lay a shell with the insides next to it and a fart egg lol hope this helps! :)

Quote:
Oh my goodness, yes! If I had missed it the day before, or if a hen laid it right after I collected the eggs, it would've sat out all night, and we've had some cold nights. Will eggs that are frozen do that?

Yep! Freezing makes them go weird inside. Sometimes you can tell by the outside having hairline cracks where the contents have expanded. I feed my frozen ones back to the chickens or to the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom