Weird Sights on the Highway

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was driving the kids to school this morning and saw that I was coming up on a pick up in the emergency lane with flashers on. I thought *Oh poor person* when I looked over to the grassy median between the 2 sides of the highway.

There was a guy with I think a hack saw trying to saw the antlers off a large buck. Poor buck but I did laugh. Why would someone stop and run across the busy highway to get the antlers? And who keeps a saw in their vehicle?

I bet this guy will keep some power tools in his truck,because he really had to work it to get those antlers. I did not see him on the way home.

2. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Depending on how the antlers score they could be worth big money. Right now my brother is wanting to buy a rack... last time that rack sold it went for $20,000.

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

In PA you can't take any part of "Road Kill" unless you contact the Game Commission and get issued a permit/tag. You could be arrested if you got caught doing what that man did.

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    People will get them for rattling, too. Like a previous poster said, it's often illegal, though, and can result in fines.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

"If you've ever stopped traffic so you can saw the antlers off a roadkill buck . . .

"You might be a redneck."

And every good redneck keeps tools in his truck.

And I mean "redneck" in the most positive way.

6. I have a friend and she said that when she was a kid her Dad hit a deer on the highway. He stopped the car, jumped out, threw it in the back of his van and told his kids to hold it. He took it home and killed and ate it.

Matthew

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Can you explain this a little? What is rattling? Thanks

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:We live in PA and yes, this can be a nasty fine. "bout a year ago a neighbor found a dead deer on his property missing its antlers and tail but otherwise left. [​IMG] Anyway, this guy is new and wasn't country so he called the police. Then he had to spend hours defending himself to try to prove that he wasn't the one that took the rack and tail!! [​IMG] I think his sheer ignorance of the value of those things finally won the officer over.

We said we'd take the meat. It wasn't that old! [​IMG] He was thoroughly disgusted by us..... [​IMG] Less than 24 hours on a cold night??

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I've seen that several times. I've also seen people cut off fox & raccoon tails & the rattles off rattlesnakes.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Can you explain this a little? What is rattling? Thanks

Clashing 2 antlers together to sound like fighting or rubbing bucks. It lures in other bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by