Weird, sleepy behavior

wendigo

Chirping
6 Years
May 8, 2013
One of my hens has been acting strange the past few days. She is still eating and drinking normally, but other than that she spends her entire time sitting down, looking around or sleeping with her head tucked in her feathers. Haven't seen her on the nest the past 5 days so I think she also stopped laying. She's a 1.5 years old ISA Brown in a flock of 18 and the only one doing this. She used to be very energic.

The temperatures dropped last week and it's pretty cold right now. Could this be the cause?

Hens will often cease laying for a period of time during moult, or the onset of cold weather. These changes can also cause a hen's immune system to be weakened, and more susceptible to infection. Check the bird's body over for lice or mites, check the crop in the morning to see that it is empty, and check it again at night. Compare her weight to that of an equal size hen that is active and eating well. Vitamin-mineral deficiencies, Coccidiosis or other protozoa from stagnant water and mud , intestinal worms, excessive amounts of bacteria are all common problems a weak bird lacks resistance to. It would be a good idea to bring the hen in-house. Put the hen in an area large enough and secure enough for you to observe behavior and insure the bird is eating and drinking. Add poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics to water. Observe the condition of droppings and describe what you see as to color/ consistency. Providing warmth helps in a heated house. 5 days is a long time to be exhibiting this behavior, and with so little information I cannot offer information. Collecting a fresh dropping in a plastic sandwich bag and getting it to a vet that can perform a fecal float examination would be a wise course of action to take.

Hens will often cease laying for a period of time during moult, or the onset of cold weather. These changes can also cause a hen's immune system to be weakened, and more susceptible to infection. Check the bird's body over for lice or mites, check the crop in the morning to see that it is empty, and check it again at night. Compare her weight to that of an equal size hen that is active and eating well. Vitamin-mineral deficiencies, Coccidiosis or other protozoa from stagnant water and mud , intestinal worms, excessive amounts of bacteria are all common problems a weak bird lacks resistance to. It would be a good idea to bring the hen in-house. Put the hen in an area large enough and secure enough for you to observe behavior and insure the bird is eating and drinking. Add poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics to water. Observe the condition of droppings and describe what you see as to color/ consistency. Providing warmth helps in a heated house. 5 days is a long time to be exhibiting this behavior, and with so little information I cannot offer information. Collecting a fresh dropping in a plastic sandwich bag and getting it to a vet that can perform a fecal float examination would be a wise course of action to take.

I noticed hair worms in her poop yesterday. Started deworming. Thanks for the help!

I noticed hair worms in her poop yesterday. Started deworming. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome,hair worms are hard to see though. If you are dealing with worms, I'd suggest Valbazen suspension at a dose of .5 cc given orally with a syringe (no needle). Each week, give poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics the first day, then just vitamins-electrolytes 2 more days. 10 days after the first dose of Valbazen, give another dosage of .5 cc.

Back
Top Bottom