Weird smell in water?

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hello again everyone! For the past few weeks I have been using ACV in my chickens water to prevent mold. I also add some "rooster booster" as a supplement (that is the actual name). Recently, I have noticed that when I am cleaning out the water it has a horrible smell to it. It is hard to describe, but it makes me gag. I've stopped using both of them and I have gone back to regular water for the time being. I can't figure out what is causing it. Could it be the combination of the two (rooster booster and ACV), or is it another type of mold? It was working fine at the beginning, but only recently has it started to smell.

How often are you cleaning it?

I went 4 days without cleaning the chick waterer in their brooder because it wasn't empty and didn't have a lot of debris. But I realized (I think) that they were pooping in it, and causing a bacterial build up. I'm not sure though. By the time I cleaned it out, the stench was so bad I may have almost vomited.

How often are you cleaning it?

I went 4 days without cleaning the chick waterer in their brooder because it wasn't empty and didn't have a lot of debris. But I realized (I think) that they were pooping in it, and causing a bacterial build up. I'm not sure though. By the time I cleaned it out, the stench was so bad I may have almost vomited.
I usually clean it out every 3-4 days. It is a three-gallon waterer, so I try not to dump it out every 1-2 days and waste the water. Could it be because its so big? Maybe I need to downsize.

Not sure what's in Rooster Booster but Poultry Nutri-Drench is pretty foul smelling, so maybe it's something in the vitamin mix that's making it smell funky?

Also maybe it's just me but I did try ACV for a little while and I found it caused more slime/gunk to build up in the waterer than if I just used plain water.

Poultry Nutri-Drench is pretty foul smelling,
You're not kidding on that one! I had to syringe feed a RIR (Rest In Peace, Ponyo) some Nutri Drench, and I kept gagging at the smell. Though I'm sure its great for the chickens!

It didn't help that some Nutri Drench got spilled on my bedroom floor (that's where we were keeping the sick chicken) and it took forever to air out.

You're not kidding on that one! I had to syringe feed a RIR (Rest In Peace, Ponyo) some Nutri Drench, and I kept gagging at the smell. Though I'm sure its great for the chickens!

It didn't help that some Nutri Drench got spilled on my bedroom floor (that's where we were keeping the sick chicken) and it took forever to air out.
Sorry about your RIR, but yeah it smells pretty awful, even when diluted down. I can't imagine how bad it would be to spill it on carpet somewhere.

Last summer I put a couple tablespoons of kombucha tea in my three gallon waterer. I got VERY little slime in that one versus the other one.

Kombucha is acidic like vinegar, and full of probiotics. Not trying to rekindle the cider vinegar debate; just saying what worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom