Weird soft eggs all of a sudden?

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
So, Loki is my little snowy call that has been a prolific little egg layer since age 6 months, including 9 healthy hatched babies.
I started a new job this week, so I haven't been home with them nearly as much (my schedule will be adjusted next week so that I'll have plenty of time with them).
I don't know if it has anything to do with me being away, but she laid her first soft egg (yolk mostly) ever yesterday morning, and yesterday afternoon she had laid a small soft wad of shell that looked like a small tampon. No blood or foul smell, no discharge. She was very subdued, but wasn't standing in penguin position or anything.
Today, she laid a regular egg plus a weird little blob.
She is on Manna Pro Layer crumbles and has plenty of ground calcium, free choice. She is still eating and drinking and such. Is she maybe just nearing the end of her laying season?

Attachments

• IMG953016.jpg
    IMG953016.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 8
A little less peppy than usual, but nothing alarming. No panting, no tail pumping, and she was very excited about her romaine lettuce and wolfed down her meal worms. I put a little powdered calcium in her water, just for safety's sake. Her full egg is the strangest thing. It's 100% perfect, but has no shell. Just the membrane. :eek:I'm actually wondering if the glob was unformed shell and she ate it for the calcium. There was no sign of yolk in her poop, and the little bit of goo I found wasn't layered like the lash egg in the picture in the article.

Last edited:
You would probably be better off putting the calcium on her treats. Diluted in the water like that, and with how much ducks love to splash water around, she may not be getting a full dose.
She and Downey sleep inside and she has two special water bowls she loves to drink out of at night. They're on clips on the side of the cage so they're high up enough that they always have somewhere to dunk their heads and clean their nares:)

Back
Top Bottom