Weird Sound

josebonilla

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
Hey guys! I have this pullet who’s been making this weird noise. I can’t really describe it because I don’t know what it is. This has been going on for days I thought it would go away. I’m not sure if you can hear it that well but here’s a video. Could anyone please tell me what’s wrong with her and how do I treat her? Thanks

(Couldn’t find another way to upload a video.)

It sounds like rales (crackles,) which are from mucus or liquid in the airways. It may be from a respiratory infection or if crop contents are coming back up into the throat. The crop looks full. Can you feel of it early in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if it has emptied. If it is not empty, tell us if it is hard or puffy. Does she have any bubbles in either eye or nasal drainage? Any sneezing heard?

It sounds like rales (crackles,) which are from mucus or liquid in the airways. It may be from a respiratory infection or if crop contents are coming back up into the throat. The crop looks full. Can you feel of it early in the morning before she eats or drinks, to see if it has emptied. If it is not empty, tell us if it is hard or puffy. Does she have any bubbles in either eye or nasal drainage? Any sneezing heard?
I haven’t seen any bubbles or nasal drainage. I’ve heard some sneezing but not a lot. Her crop should be that big thing by her chest, right? I felt it and it is hard.

Keep checking the crop to see if it empties overnight. When you checked it earlier, had she eaten or drunk anything this AM? An impacted crop is possible if the crop is still full in the early morning. A full crop may have contents come back up into the throat and sound gurgly. Having some sneezing is consistent with a respiratory disease, but chickens do sneeze normally during eating or from dust or other environmental reasons. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently who could have exposed her to a respiratory disease? Here is an article to read about crop disorders, if her crop doesn’t empty overnight:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Keep checking the crop to see if it empties overnight. When you checked it earlier, had she eaten or drunk anything this AM? An impacted crop is possible if the crop is still full in the early morning. A full crop may have contents come back up into the throat and sound gurgly. Having some sneezing is consistent with a respiratory disease, but chickens do sneeze normally during eating or from dust or other environmental reasons. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently who could have exposed her to a respiratory disease? Here is an article to read about crop disorders, if her crop doesn’t empty overnight:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
It was pretty early none of the other chickens were still by their roost. I don’t think she ate or drunk. I have her and another pullet that are new to the flock, i’ve had chickens before I added her and the other pullet. I don’t think she was exposed to a disease. I’ll look out for her crop. Thanks!

Respiratory diseases can occur within days of exposure to a carrier, who may not look sick at the time. They can also bring something with them if their previous flock or chickens they were exposed to, were carriers. But it sounds like her crop may not be emptying normally. Do you have grit available for your chickens to aid in digestion? You can try giving some chilled coconut oil cut into small chips and fed to her, then massage her crop a couple of times daily. Make sure that she is drinking well too.

Respiratory diseases can occur within days of exposure to a carrier, who may not look sick at the time. They can also bring something with them if their previous flock or chickens they were exposed to, were carriers. But it sounds like her crop may not be emptying normally. Do you have grit available for your chickens to aid in digestion? You can try giving some chilled coconut oil cut into small chips and fed to her, then massage her crop a couple of times daily. Make sure that she is drinking well too.
I don’t have grit. Should I go get some? How would I make coconut oil into small chips? I have coconut oil but as a liquid.

I’ve been observing her for the most of the day. My chickens are free range the chickens go out and go do their stuff but usually she just stands in different places away from the flock. Or she’ll walk around but very slowly. She barely eats and drinks, and her crop is still hard and big. I’ll treat her for an impacted crop. But she’s still making the crackles. Do I have to treat her for a respiratory illness too? This her right now.
3AB1D934-D69F-4C23-9929-D8AC5E46FFE6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom