Weird squat- does it count?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Feb 5, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Today my 33 week old leghorn finally squatted! However, she did it in a very odd way and I was wondering if it still means that she should lay soon. I’ve been giving her squat tests ever since she’s sixteen weeks old- and she’s never squatted. However, this may be because she is the most flighty, terrified of everything pullet in America. Today, she, her two friends, and the two bully hens were pecking around at scratch. My production red, being the big bully she is, charged Sage (WL). But Sage is so small, and Redtail (PR) is so big. It happened very fast, so I don’t know if Sage saw her coming, so Redtail almost ended up a little bit on top of Sage. Sage gave a very good squat. I know hens sometimes mount eachother as a dominice act- although I don’t think Redtail MEANT too. So did Sage think Redtail was a roo?
    Does this squat still count as a ‘she’s going to lay an egg’, squat?

2. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I think it does.

3. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been waiting for my white leghorn pullet to lay, too - and she sounds like yours, flighty and jumpy. Got my fingers crossed too! She's big, with a red peacomb and wattles and has been actually investigating the nest boxes. But no squat so far...

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    How old is yours?

6. Kittyf

I'm not really sure as the breeder didn't mention her age, but said she was "about the same as the others" and they are now 28-32 weeks. So I think mine may be similar in age to yours. Here's a pic of Kathy aka Whitey: (She moved her head as I was snapping)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Hmm...[​IMG]

Does she have a rose comb or something? It looks kinda wierd...and she doesn't really look ready yet, sorry. here's mine: Sorry about the blood on her face.

[​IMG]

8. Kittyf

Yes, she's peacomb - her comb is just a few little ridges - like seed pearls and won't get any bigger ever. But her body is large and she got into the nest box again today. I can't wait to see her eggs, but it might be a while longer. Your hen is a beauty and that comb is lovely - she looks more than ready to me!

9. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    I didn't know Leghorns came in different combs. Intresting. Your girl is so pretty- hopefully we'll both get eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by