weird squawk and behind issues

emmalemons

Songster
Jul 30, 2018
Michigan ( Grand Rapids area)
Recently I've been noticing that one of my chickens named Popsicle has been making a weird squawk. She can't even or doesn't make the regular hen noises that anyone with hens would hear. Today I decided to separate her from the flock and take a closer look. After putting where I put my quarantined chickens, I saw that she neither wanted to eat the food I gave her (chicken pellet smushed and mixed in corn) or the electrolyte-infused water. I also noticed that her vent was filled with a yellowish substance and was stuck to her fluffy feathers down there. I put on a glove and peered around but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for because I've never run into a problem like this before! She's in the old dog kennel now (the place of quarantined chickens ;) ) waiting for a cure or help if there is some. Please help! Anything will be much appreciated!!!! thank you!

Recently I've been noticing that one of my chickens named Popsicle has been making a weird squawk. She can't even or doesn't make the regular hen noises that anyone with hens would hear. Today I decided to separate her from the flock and take a closer look. After putting where I put my quarantined chickens, I saw that she neither wanted to eat the food I gave her (chicken pellet smushed and mixed in corn) or the electrolyte-infused water. I also noticed that her vent was filled with a yellowish substance and was stuck to her fluffy feathers down there. I put on a glove and peered around but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for because I've never run into a problem like this before! She's in the old dog kennel now (the place of quarantined chickens ;) ) waiting for a cure or help if there is some. Please help! Anything will be much appreciated!!!! thank you!
Can you take video of the weird squawk so we can hear it? (upload video to youtube and provide us a link)

You know it...I'm going to ask for photos too:D One of Popsicle, her vent and her poop if you can please.
How old is she?
Is she acting lethargic?
How does her crop feel?
A yellow substance stuck to her vent, could be stuck poop, but you will want to clean that up. A soaking in a warm tub of water helps.
Also take note of any odors like infection, yeasty smells, etc. and tell us about that too.
Oh, while you're at it, look her over for lice/mites and look inside her beak for any obstruction, canker, lesions/yellow/white plaques.

Just as I was waiting for response so went and took a video. I also found a website that helped explain a lot of possible chicken issues. I did look into her mouth but I didn’t find anything abnormal. She doesn’t run very far and her breathing is very labored the video attached is me going to go get her new water since she tipped over the first. She is about 1 1/2 years old. And I can’t find any poop! If anything it’s just very runny almost like just urine. So yes I would say she is somewhat lethargic

srry i have to attach link it make take awhile since i dont know what i'm doing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom