1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird stuff in my egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yeswehave8, Oct 17, 2014.

1. yeswehave8

yeswehave8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Ok, they aren't from my chickens, though... they have yet to give up the eggs for us. [​IMG]

A friend of ours has backyard hens, too, and gave us a dozen eggs. Not sure what is in her flock, but they are smallish white eggs. I finally went to cook them today and 3 or 4 had this weird stuff inside. The whites were more pink and there was pink to red and dark brown to black inside them. Whatever it was actually stuck to the inside of the egg, too. I took a pic on my iPad but need to figure how to get it on here. They did not smell "bad" though, like a rotten egg.

I discarded the eggs, contents, and the 2 that were in the bowl already (bummer) because I wasn't sure what it was. I thought about posting it on Facebook and asking, but don't want to insult my friend. I thought it was very nice of them to give us eggs, so I don't want to seem ungrateful.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Blood spots/ meat spots aren't uncommon in eggs (you almost never see them in grocery store eggs because those eggs are culled before they get to the store) The blood/meat spot will turn darker as the egg gets older http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots
    Do they have a rooster? There is also the possibility that the egg was fertilized and had started developing if a hen was sitting on them and they didn't collect the eggs every day or missed a nest.

3. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    As for the rooster, I know there was one or two around there, only because they said they sent them to live with their sister in the country. I am not sure if they had one recently, though.

4. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

I hope this comes out ok.

5. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    They almost look moldy inside, against the egg. I can't find my camera card and the best I have is the iPad right now. I know I am losing a lot of definition in the pictures. The yolks looked pretty normal, it's the whites that are pink and weird.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That sounds more like a bacterial infection inside the egg

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ewww, that is icky. X2 on Ol Grey Mare, that looks like a bacterial infection. Off the USDA website:
    "Pink or iridescent egg white (albumen) indicates spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria. Some of these microorganisms—which produce a greenish, fluorescent, water-soluble pigment—are harmful to humans."

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Looks to me like the egg in question had been in a hidden nest, and recently been found, and added to the egg carton. If I were you, in spite of the uncomfortableness of the situation, I'd mention it to your friend. What ever the cause, she needs to know so that it wont happen again. If I gave eggs to a friend, and that showed up, I'd definitely want, need to know!!

10. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    So the other eggs that were not like this (and did not come in contact with them) were ok? We ate them this morning, no issues. I cooked them all the way, too. I am not a fan of soft eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by