Weird tasting yolks

Mamaslittlefarm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Our chickens finally started laying and at first their eggs were NOT good. Once they started laying we made sure to not give them onions/peppers/garlic and we have now gotten to the point where their whites are really good, but their yolks taste bad (almost old and rotten). Since the yolks are HUGE (another problem?) this makes for some frustrating eggs that really are only good hard boiled.

They are free range, and live with our goats and ducks. Thinking through their diet, the only odd thing might be the goat feed? Does anyone have any suggestions on our yolk problem(s)?

What are you feeding them? Include a list of their feed AND their treats. How much are they free ranging? Can you post an ingredient list of your goat feed? What is your general location? What plants predominate if you are free ranging, or what plants have you noticed them eating? What are you using for bedding in coop and run? If no bedding in run, is it grassy or bare soil? How many birds and what is the size of their run? Do the yolks taste better if hard boiled?

Our chickens finally started laying and at first their eggs were NOT good. Once they started laying we made sure to not give them onions/peppers/garlic and we have now gotten to the point where their whites are really good, but their yolks taste bad (almost old and rotten). Since the yolks are HUGE (another problem?) this makes for some frustrating eggs that really are only good hard boiled.

They are free range, and live with our goats and ducks. Thinking through their diet, the only odd thing might be the goat feed? Does anyone have any suggestions on our yolk problem(s)?
If they are free range it could be absolutely anything in the environment that they're eating and is causing the problem. I had a friend whose hens were eating foam insulation and he only realized it after eating some really, really bad eggs and doing a little detective work. So that is probably what you are going to have to do until you find the source. I doubt it is the goat food, though.

I had that same problem it was so frustrating. but it fixed itself in a few weeks I made no diet changes or anything like that all of a sudden they just started tasting like normal eggs. Just give it time

If they are free range it could be absolutely anything in the environment that they're eating and is causing the problem. I had a friend whose hens were eating foam insulation and he only realized it after eating some really, really bad eggs and doing a little detective work. So that is probably what you are going to have to do until you find the source. I doubt it is the goat food, though.

I had that same problem it was so frustrating. but it fixed itself in a few weeks I made no diet changes or anything like that all of a sudden they just started tasting like normal eggs. Just give it time

Wonder if they finished off the styrofoam, or what ever else they were getting into!!! To a chicken, styrofoam is like this: :pop We put some corrugated PVC over the exposed insulation on the west side of our house to keep the flock from eating it.

Wonder if they finished off the styrofoam, or what ever else they were getting into!!! To a chicken, styrofoam is like this: :pop We put some corrugated PVC over the exposed insulation on the west side of our house to keep the flock from eating it.
I'm not sure but whoduvthunk they would eat that? Yuck. But I definitely don't discount the possibility of chickens eating just about anything after hearing that story!

What are you feeding them? Include a list of their feed AND their treats. How much are they free ranging? Can you post an ingredient list of your goat feed? What is your general location? What plants predominate if you are free ranging, or what plants have you noticed them eating? What are you using for bedding in coop and run? If no bedding in run, is it grassy or bare soil? How many birds and what is the size of their run? Do the yolks taste better if hard boiled?

Our chickens are 100% free range. We have 5 chickens, 4 ducks, and 4 dwarf goats that have about an acre they share. They have a stall in our barn (big enough for a horse) that the floor is hay and the bedding is the wood shaving bedding that we used when they were chicks.

The only plant currently growing out there is pasture grass. We live in Utah so that's the only thing that they have right now. And that's only when there isn't snow on the ground

Grain products, Processed grain by-products, Plant protein products, Molasses products, Calcium carbonate, Roughage products, Salt, Forage products, Dicalcium phosphate, Soybean oil, Phosphoric acid (a preservative), Vitamin E supplement, Tetrasodium pyrophosphate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Calcium iodate, Sodium molybdate, Cobalt carbonate, Manganese sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Ferrous carbonate, Copper sulfate, Zinc oxide, Zinc sulfate, Magnesium oxide, Manganous oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 16.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) 0.80%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) 0.75%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 0.60%, Crude Fiber (max.) 9.00%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.30%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) 1.25%, Copper (Cu) (max.) 42 ppm, Copper (Cu) (min.) 39 ppm, Selenium (Se) (min.) 0.60 ppm, Vitamin A (min.) 5,000 IU/lb.

Chicken feed (Dumor layer crumble)
Organic Corn, Organic Soybean Meal, Organic Wheat, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Diatomaceous Earth, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Sesquicarbonate, Organic Soybean Oil, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Methionine Supplement, Organic Wheat Middlings, Organic vegetable oil, dried Penicillium Funiculosum Fermentation Product, Choline Chloride, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 16.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%

So...I may have figured something out.

This morning my husband was chased off by one of our ducks who was sitting on an egg. So unless I have a duck who has went broody I think we may have been mixing the duck and chicken eggs up.

I've never had a duck egg. But this might explain our huge yolk, super thick she'll, different tasting eggs?

Back
Top Bottom