Weird thing on young rooster neck, might be his tongue?

summertimeislife

Chirping
Jul 11, 2019
missouri
ok I have a big herd, this rooster is only about 9 months. we have been treating them for lice, so you can see some lice eggs on him. I picked up this rooster and noticed this thing on his neck, I thought it was a parasite, but I opened his mouth to see if it was in his throat and when i moved the neck thing, his tongue moved to.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 11
ok I have a big herd, this rooster is only about 9 months. we have been treating them for lice, so you can see some lice eggs on him. I picked up this rooster and noticed this thing on his neck, I thought it was a parasite, but I opened his mouth to see if it was in his throat and when i moved the neck thing, his tongue moved to.
Looks like a Feather follicle with an infection.

Agree with the possibility of a feather follicle infection or perhaps a thorn with infection. I'd use pliers or tweezers to remove it, then squeeze out the infection plug (pus). Pus in chickens is not liquid like human pus, it's more of a solid, with a texture similar to mozzarella cheese. Squeeze that plug out and apply a triple antibiotic ointment, without pain reliever in it, in the resulting hole.

Back
Top Bottom