Weird things on my hens face

Thanks! It's wet pox and can possibly spread to the esophagus preventing her from eating and drinking, eventually causing starvation as I mentioned.
If she is currently eating and drinking normally, just open her mouth every few days to observe if it's spreading. It may or may not go away on its own. If it spreads, you'll have to remove the lesion from her mouth. There will be alot of blood removing it, do your best to prevent blood from going down into the trachea (windpipe) when removing the lesion. Then use iodine on q-tip to swab the area where you removed the lesion. Continue to apply iodine as needed and it will heal in time. As far as feeding goes, mix water with feed in a bowl to make a watery gruel for her to eat until healed.
Let's hope the lesion doesnt spread. :)

Thanks! It's wet pox and can possibly spread to the esophagus preventing her from eating and drinking, eventually causing starvation as I mentioned.
If she is currently eating and drinking normally, just open her mouth every few days to observe if it's spreading. It may or may not go away on its own. If it spreads, you'll have to remove the lesion from her mouth. There will be alot of blood removing it, do your best to prevent blood from going down into the trachea (windpipe) when removing the lesion. Then use iodine on q-tip to swab the area where you removed the lesion. Continue to apply iodine as needed and it will heal in time. As far as feeding goes, mix water with feed in a bowl to make a watery gruel for her to eat until healed.
Let's hope the lesion doesnt spread. :)
How about it spreading to o
The rest of the flock

Dry pox spreads slowly through a flock. It goes away on it's own in about 4-6 weeks.
In order for a bird to be infected by wet pox, infectious route is through blood or birds picking at and/or consuming infective scabs or lesions.
Iodine or black shoe polish can externally be put on scabs/lesions on combs and wattles. It will deter picking and will help dry them up quicker.

Dry pox spreads slowly through a flock. It goes away on it's own in about 4-6 weeks.
In order for a bird to be infected by wet pox, infectious route is through blood or birds picking at and/or consuming infective scabs or lesions.
Iodine or black shoe polish can externally be put on scabs/lesions on combs and wattles. It will deter picking and will help dry them up quicker.
Since it's only one would removing it stop the spread and none of the other bird are picking at it

Fowl pox is mostly spread by mosquitos. Eliminate standing water on your property as best as you can. Put screen on coop vents.
I wouldnt remove any external lesions, only more will pop up. The disease is a virus and is in the chickens system. It has to pass on its own.
Dont remove the one in her mouth, there's a chance it may go away on its own. If it's preventing her from swallowing food or water, then remove it. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom