Weird things under chicken's eyes

Thank you for the feedback - we do keep the food and water in the same place and take her aside for treats. Interesting point about being painful to jump off the roost! But it makes sense. We have occasionally recently noticed her rasping/gurgling/rattling when she breathes - no other symptoms noticed or others in the flock doing that. I'm guessing from another thread I read that the inflammation/infection or even cancer could be causing this by pressing on her lungs and decreasing function. We could give her another course of antibiotics but in this scenario I"m guessing it wouldn't help.... She does still get around slowly to be with the flock and seems to still have quality of life, at least.

Thank you for the feedback - we do keep the food and water in the same place and take her aside for treats. Interesting point about being painful to jump off the roost! But it makes sense. We have occasionally recently noticed her rasping/gurgling/rattling when she breathes - no other symptoms noticed or others in the flock doing that. I'm guessing from another thread I read that the inflammation/infection or even cancer could be causing this by pressing on her lungs and decreasing function. We could give her another course of antibiotics but in this scenario I"m guessing it wouldn't help.... She does still get around slowly to be with the flock and seems to still have quality of life, at least.
The gurgling and rasping could be from fluid in the abdomen due to the Salpingitis or even beginning of organ failure.
Sometimes if there's fluid in the abdomen (a symptom called Ascites), the fluid can be drained to give temporary relief and make breathing easier.
Some folks have used Aloe Detox and found that it can also temporarily help with symptoms of fluid as well.

Do check her crop to see if it's emptying. A crop that is slow or turning sour can also be somewhat liquid filled, this could cause some gurgling as well.

Address symptoms as they arise. If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to address that. I've found that it can be a challenge to get the crop to empty well when a hen is also having reproductive problems or if she's got fluid in the abdomen. You are correct that inflammation/swelling in the rest of the body can decrease function as a whole, so things seem to slow down all together.
Do the best you can, keep her comfy, give her lots of love, let her be with her flock and chicken until she can't chicken anymore.

The gurgling and rasping could be from fluid in the abdomen due to the Salpingitis or even beginning of organ failure.
Sometimes if there's fluid in the abdomen (a symptom called Ascites), the fluid can be drained to give temporary relief and make breathing easier.
Some folks have used Aloe Detox and found that it can also temporarily help with symptoms of fluid as well.

Do check her crop to see if it's emptying. A crop that is slow or turning sour can also be somewhat liquid filled, this could cause some gurgling as well.

Address symptoms as they arise. If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to address that. I've found that it can be a challenge to get the crop to empty well when a hen is also having reproductive problems or if she's got fluid in the abdomen. You are correct that inflammation/swelling in the rest of the body can decrease function as a whole, so things seem to slow down all together.
Do the best you can, keep her comfy, give her lots of love, let her be with her flock and chicken until she can't chicken anymore.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom