Weird wild duckling

Pics

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
This guy is adorable! I thought I would share. The wild mom has 7 ducklings, but this little guy seems to be about 7-10 days behind in development. But, he's extremely energetic and independent. I worry that a heron would eat him because he's the smallest. The others in his family are almost ready to fly, but he's got a bit to go.

I didn't first see his family until they were a month old. Yesterday, I noticed that he's got quite a bit of white forming on his belly. There is a male gadwall hanging nearby and I think he has a mallard mate, so I'm wondering if this is his baby. We also have a number of male domestic ducks there as well. We had another weird, grayish looking duckling before, but he never had white on his belly.

Anyway, here's some photos and videos of him. I call him the little troublemaker because he's always encouraging the other ducks to run away with him into dangerous places.

I hope he makes it because I would love to see what he turns out to look like. Here is the mom with the 7, he's the tiny one closest to mom, only a little bit of him is showing:

And, a video. I have two videos, but only one is on Youtube:

0.jpg

In this video, he's a bit older.

0.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
I think I found Trouble today. He was in the same area he usually is and responded to his name. Also, the two little girls are getting their wing feathers. They're about the size of Trouble now, but smaller than most of the other adult females.
possibly trouble 083118.jpg

laurel and hardy 0831.jpg

Here's Troublemaker's update! I might not be able to get another one until the end of next weekend. He seems to have lost a little bit of white on his belly. I thought I saw a white ring forming around his neck, but I think those might be new pins and feathers forming. It's been cloudy early in the morning, so the lighting is not that great.

Here he is with mom and some of his siblings who are nearly grown. Troublemaker still peeps like a baby. In this photo, you can also see his longer, more slender bill:

Troublemaker says "It's too hot to start trouble today." I think he's stopped growing and developing, but I can't tell because I can't see most of his body. I think I still see a bit of down on his back and head, but he looks mostly feathered out.

He's still very small and has a duckling voice. Here he is next to his brother and a sister:

Hi, the mom is in several of the photos, including the first one. I suspect this duck *might* be the father, though we have a LOT of domestic and hybrid mallards there whom could also be the father. This picture is not recent because he hasn't been very co-operative about me taking any of him. But, I have seen him in the area where the mom and ducklings hang out, but have not seen them together recently. I'm not sure if she is the same female he used to hang out with a couple years ago.

I think he's growing now.

I dropped my lens cap and he thought it was food and came running over, lol.

Here he is to the side. He doesn't have the lighter yellow legs that a Brewer's duck would have, but he's still young. Or, he could just be an ordinary mallard duckling that's just a runt. Parts of his bill are turning yellow and I think his voice is just beginning to change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom