Weirded out?

Nbullinger

Songster
Jan 21, 2022
North Carolina
Has anyone else experienced being weirded out eating their own chickens eggs? I cooked my first up today for my oldest daughter and took a bite, while it was the best tasting egg I've ever had - I immediately felt nauseous and weird while trying the one bite! Nothing is wrong with the egg. How long does it take to get over this?!

My daughter wanted chickens for the "farm fresh eggs".
She didn't have an issue until I taught her about hatching chicks.
After that she had the same reaction because she felt it was denying a chick at a chance of life.
It stuck in her head and 10+ years later she still only eats store bought eggs ever.
She's weird though.

A little bit. It took only a few days for me to get over it.

My city slicker husband had a lot more trouble with it - less the "could become a chick" part - we do eat chicken - more the where exactly they come from or how exactly they get out of the pullets. And that they sometimes layed on the floor instead of in the nests. He is very aware of what is on the floor. Knowing all this in theory ahead of time wasn't the same as seeing it and really thinking about it while seeing it.

He didn't stop eating the eggs, though. Or stop thoroughly enjoying them. I'm not sure if he got over it or just stopped saying anything about it after the first day or two.

It might help to realize the yolk is the food for the chick - not the actual chick.

A little bit. It took only a few days for me to get over it.

My city slicker husband had a lot more trouble with it - less the "could become a chick" part - we do eat chicken - more the where exactly they come from or how exactly they get out of the pullets. And that they sometimes layed on the floor instead of in the nests. He is very aware of what is on the floor. Knowing all this in theory ahead of time wasn't the same as seeing it and really thinking about it while seeing it.

He didn't stop eating the eggs, though. Or stop thoroughly enjoying them. I'm not sure if he got over it or just stopped saying anything about it after the first day or two.

It might help to realize the yolk is the food for the chick - not the actual chick.
Ha yeah I guess it's just having our own chickens I'm paying more attention to the anatomy and HOW the egg is made. Plus watching them eat bugs and other weird things 😆

No, I really enjoy it :) cos I know those are some ( very spoiled) happy chickens, compared to the chickens which produce the eggs which are sold in stores! Funny story, when I was in south Tyrol I met a women who used to have chickens. Then, when the grandkids came she raised some again so they
could see where eggs really come from and collect them. What happened?! When the kids found out the eggs left the chicken in the same passage the poops leaves it, they refused eating eggs :barnie
And, even an fertilized egg is just an egg unless a (broody) hen sits on it for at least 24 hours!!

Back
Top Bottom