weirdest behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by griffinheather, May 25, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    I've recently noticed the strangest behavior from several of my 5 week old silkie chicks. It almost looks like they're having a seizure. They hunker down, shake their head back-n-forth and it looks like their eyes glaze over. After a few seconds of doing that, they snap out of it and run around like all is well. I recently raised several bantie chicks in the same environment and they nver displayed this type of behavior. The only thing that I can think of is I recently used some cut-n-heal on my bantie hen where she was picking her wing. I noticed that tea tree oil is one of the ingredients and I read somewhere that some animals have a seizure like reactions to tea tree oil. I wash my hands but I can still smell a faint odor of it on my hands. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Tea tree oil is highly toxic if ingested even in the most minute quantities. I think it could very well be to blame if that is the only new thing the birds have been exposed to.

I hope you figure out the mystery. Good luck.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi...I bought some white silkie banties this year at TSC. I have one who displays the same behavior as you describe.Is it almost a slow motion type head twisting back and forth? I thought there was something neurologically wrong.It tends to do this more often if stressed but then it acts fine like nothing happened.Growth rate is good...eats well...drinks well..As soon as I noticed it,I added vitamins/electrolytes to the water and had them on that for like 2 weeks.It still did it after that but I haven't seen the behavior for a week or so...they are roughly 6 weeks old now.I was hoping he/she outgrew it.Sorry I have no answer....am curious myself if this is something they are prone to. We need a silkie expert!
    BTW, I have used nothing with tea tree oil at all....for myself or the birds...

4. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    *Update*

When I stepped back into the room where I keep them, there were three chicks having this 'seizure' like action, it was more extreme w/ wings out spread and curled up toes. I immediantly (after scrubbing my hands and doning some socks, no rubber gloves) I put them into a brand new container w/ a new water and food dish on some paper towels. Now I have them outside to get some fresh air. They seem to be 'tired' but other wise they went right back to pecking. It's got to be something that I hand on my hands.......

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Wow...mine never did that [​IMG] Hope you figure it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by