Weirton, WV ordinance. Help me change it

amandawv

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2014
We have had chickens for the past few years. They have never been a problem. In fact, I'm on my second group of hens. My first flock died off. Anyway I looked the law up online and it stated I could have them. Well, there are a few abandoned lots in my neighborhood and a few of us neighbors got rats. So the neighbor called on us. Animal control came out and said we have the cleanest coop he's ever seen and he's seen hundreds. I showed him the copy of the ordinance I had and he took it and text us the next day we can keep our chickens. This morning he shows back up and says the ordinance states you can not have chickens. Now I have to get rid of my girls. I have called my local
Councilman, cheif of police, police and an attorney. The rats were NOT because of my chickens. In fact my chickens killed a few rats. The house behind mind has been abandon for close to 20 years. There has always been a rat problem, raccoon issue and even a snake issue. We have always just felt with it. How do I change the ordinance changed for responsible chicken owners? I'm too attached to regime. Nobody will care for them like I do. My heart hurts.

First, Link to the ordinance so that we can see it.
Second, if they came back a second time and 'changed their minds', then they should reference a section of the ordinance that you are violating.

It's likely that they are using a general nuisance cause. If that's the case, you need to make them prove it.

§ 505.08 UNLAWFUL HARBORING OF ROOSTERS, CHICKENS, OR EXOTIC BIRDS.

It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to keep or harbor any roosters, chickens, or exotic birds (excluding parakeets, parrots, cockatoo or any small bird that is an indoor house pet) within the city limits. Any person or persons caught harboring these birds shall be fined a minimum of $200 and a maximum fine of $500 with a possibility of incarceration for a period of 30 days.

(Ord. 1691, passed 11-8-10). This is weirton wv current law 2022.

Back
Top Bottom