Welbar Chick Feathering Out Differently

YellowRoseFarm

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Texas
Hello,

This set of chicks is nearing the 5-week mark, so I don't expect to know whether I have acquired any cockerels with any measure of certainty. But I'll put it out there anyway, if for no other reason than for the sake of posterity.

I have 3 Welbar chicks, and because they're not-so-common, I have a hard time finding pictures of the pullets vs. cockerels. For those who don't know, the Welbar is an autosexing breed, with the males born lighter and usually with a light spot on their head (so I'm told). All 3 of mine looked mostly like chipmunks, which is expected for pullets, but one did have a much lighter head and neck with an even lighter spot on the head. Her body looked mostly like her brooder mates. (see photo of the chicks on their chicknick table).

Her name is Tilly (er, Till-he?) and she is feathering out slower than the other 2 at every stage. Now, she looks more like a porcupine than her sisters, with her shoulder feathers sticking out and just generally going through the awkward teenage phase a bit differently than Hazel & Lola Belle.

So, if anyone knows anything about the breed and the likelihood of mis-sexing an autosexing breed, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Maybe she's just taking a little longer than the others because she's a little runty?
Tilly & Lola Belle.jpg
Chicks_2 Weeks.jpg
Tilly_2.jpg
Tilly_3.jpg
Tilly_1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom