Welcome to Chicklandia

Well they certainly look safe and dry in there! Not sure if we will get another big snow or not but I don't think it will matter to them!
Rhaega still rules the roost! A couple of weeks ago, she half-buried herself in the tire dust bath, looking like she was blissed-out. I wish I got a picture for you. Perhaps she'll do it again.

Chicklandia news! (bawk, bawk, bawk...)

This morning, I was distressed to discover Rhaega was locked out of the coop last night. :th
Fortunately, temperature was 27, cold not not super fridged. She moved slowly at first, then began to eat and drink. I went back out to check on her, and discovered she laid a soft egg in the run where she had spent the night. It was not frozen, so she laid it early this morning.

Rhaega soft egg.jpg

Rhaega is about four years old and has not laid all winter, as expected. The rest are pullets, about five months old and not yet laying. I was slowly introducing layer feed mixed with grower feed, but have now switched to 100% layer feed. There's also oyster shell available in a separate feeder.

Several days ago, I opened the nest box for the first time and placed a couple fake eggs. They've been checking it out, especially Rhaega. I'm hoping she'll lay there in a day or two. And I will do a headcount every night and not rely on just a quick look around the run.

Always something to learn in Chicklandia!

Rhaega gifted us a perfect egg thus morning! :love

Unfortunately I failed to check the nest when I tucked them in yesterday, so it's frozen solid. (8 degrees this morning!) But the shell is hard. We're getting there...

Rhaega egg 1-28-21.jpg

Rhaega and Poppy are now laying! (2 of 5 girls) Strange to have them starting during the coldest snap of the winter. (Single digits) I have to watch closely so I get the eggs before they freeze. Notice I bought this egg skelter with high hopes! :yesss:

eggs 1-31-21.jpg

Chicklandia news! (bawk, bawk, bawk...)

This morning, I was distressed to discover Rhaega was locked out of the coop last night. :th
Fortunately, temperature was 27, cold not not super fridged. She moved slowly at first, then began to eat and drink. I went back out to check on her, and discovered she laid a soft egg in the run where she had spent the night. It was not frozen, so she laid it early this morning.

View attachment 2504673

Rhaega is about four years old and has not laid all winter, as expected. The rest are pullets, about five months old and not yet laying. I was slowly introducing layer feed mixed with grower feed, but have now switched to 100% layer feed. There's also oyster shell available in a separate feeder.

Several days ago, I opened the nest box for the first time and placed a couple fake eggs. They've been checking it out, especially Rhaega. I'm hoping she'll lay there in a day or two. And I will do a headcount every night and not rely on just a quick look around the run.

Always something to learn in Chicklandia!
Oh my!! Rhaega always was a bit of a night owl ... er ... chicken ...

Glad she's safe and laying eggs again! :)

Sad news. ☹️ Rhaega slowed down a lot the last few weeks. Losing weight, keeping to herself, etc. When she didn't get up yesterday morning, I knew her time had come. I was able to cull her myself, quickly and painlessly for her. (Though I had a big cry.) She was about five years old and a wonderful teacher to me and my young little flock. I miss her.

Rhaega.jpg

I'm so sorry about Rheaga. :hugs

Your flock story is so interesting.
Thank you. I knew Rhaega wouldn't be with me too long as she was older. While I'm sad to lose her, I am grateful to know that I do have the ability to cull a chicken myself. Everyone on BYC has given me courage and support.

Back
Top Bottom