Welcome to Chicklandia

deidreg

Crowing
Jul 6, 2020
Connecticut
A few of you may know I rented hens this summer to see if I wanted to get my own flock. That day has arrived! Chicklandia is the new Omlet Eglu and walk in run.

Heading the flock is Rhaega, a mature hen rehomed with me. (Thanks, @zyzzyr) Cricket is a Whiting True Blue, about 8 weeks old. She's about the size of a dove and spunky. Olive is the Easter Egger who has figured out how to get me to spill mealworms. Gigi and Fleur are Salmon Faverolles--Gigi is a bit skittish and Fleur steers clear of me. They're about 10 weeks old. I'm spending lots of time with them to get them comfortable with me. Lots of chirping, flapping, climbing, and mealworms. :love

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice, encouragement, and community.

Attachments

• Chicklandia.jpg
    Chicklandia.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • Rhaega.jpg
    Rhaega.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Cricket.jpg
    Cricket.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Olive.jpg
    Olive.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Gigi.jpg
    Gigi.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Fleur.jpg
    Fleur.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 27
Uh, oh...trouble in Chicklandia! 😳

Today, I discovered Olive (EE pullet) bullying Gigi and Fleur (Faverolle pullets) by picking at the pin feathers on their feet, drawing blood. I cleaned up their feet and used a bit of Neosporin. I'll keep an eye on them. As for Olive, she's in chicken jail. A sturdy dog crate with everything she needs. (She's throwing a temper tantrum right now.) I'm keeping her in the carport tonight, but will place the crate in the run tomorrow. She's not getting out until Gigi and Fleur are healed. Then, we'll see if Olive has learned her lesson. I hope so!

Back
Top Bottom