Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Update....

I had 3 kids home this summer, with 1 kid added on weekends. So.... almost a full set. The missing kid was kid 2.

So.... each kid update...

Eldest is now at his second year at seminary and still loves it. He came home for the summer, got a full time job which was very exhausting for him(on his feet all day), so I just didn't see him much! He would work, go to church, do some things with his brothers...

He did make sure to spend time with my mom who was here for 2 months.

Kid 2, for the first time in forever did NOT have a job this summer. Instead, this woman he had known for 4 years, via Internet, came here to Alaska for 2 months. They camped all over, at some times other mutual friends joined them... At the end of 2 months she went back home, and he followed her!!!! For a month... he got home just in time for classes. Yes, he is still in college. She is planning to visit this Christmas.. he is planning to propose at Christmas... I think that means that they will be married next summer, summer 2024!!! They talk about everything... so even though it is not yet official... they are already discussing having the wedding HERE in the small next door church.... she wants to convert.... ack.... I am now trying to help my son figure out what ring to buy, how to do visa paperwork, and how to support a wife on a student income!!!

By the way...we ALL love the woman. She is absolutely fantastic, and is his perfect match.

Kid 3, at the end of his first year of college got offered a job he could not refuse. Great pay with full benefits. So... I had to help him get his first apartment... he now lives 2hours away but drives home every weekend. The truck that he and his brother, kid 4 changed the transmission on (rebuilt transmission), the new to him transmission busted after... maybe a month??? So he is having to drive our super terrible backup junker. He is saving up as much as he can, and working hard to spend as little as possible... so that at the end of a year he will be able to afford a decent used car. He refuses to get a car with a loan since his job, though great, is brand new. He has signed up for 1 online college class this fall. He wants to get a degree in instrumentation, so he can move over to that if/ when his current welding job ends. (It is a full time job, with overtime... but he is a proactive young man. He knows he doesn't want to weld for the rest of his life)

Kid 4 has been working to get his Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts, and is still making 20 an hour doing odd jobs for people around town. This year is his last year of High school. So, this fall he is taking 1 college class, an intro English one.

Kid 5 HAS A GIRL FRIEND!!!! :eek::eek:Sheesh!!! And he only just turned 15 this summer!!!!!... I did NOT have this issue with his brothers!!! He had his first "real" job this summer, a job in construction. Lots of hard work, decent pay.

Kid 5 is in 10th this year.

Spouse and I are still trucking along.

Oh... Kid 5 has a permanent tooth that is in the totally wrong place!! I have been driving him up to Anchorage once a week, 3 weeks in a row.... the tooth in the wrong place is below the gum line. We had to get him surgery to expose the tooth... and now it is being gently pulled with a chain... out and over... we should now only have to go to Anchorage (5 hours away) and at times only Soldotna (2 hours away) every 3 to 4 weeks. Either it will all work out... or some of his front teeth will die... yeah... sheesh... a 16 year old with... dentures? A bridge? Whatever

Crazy!

Update....

I had 3 kids home this summer, with 1 kid added on weekends. So.... almost a full set. The missing kid was kid 2.

So.... each kid update...

Eldest is now at his second year at seminary and still loves it. He came home for the summer, got a full time job which was very exhausting for him(on his feet all day), so I just didn't see him much! He would work, go to church, do some things with his brothers...

He did make sure to spend time with my mom who was here for 2 months.

Kid 2, for the first time in forever did NOT have a job this summer. Instead, this woman he had known for 4 years, via Internet, came here to Alaska for 2 months. They camped all over, at some times other mutual friends joined them... At the end of 2 months she went back home, and he followed her!!!! For a month... he got home just in time for classes. Yes, he is still in college. She is planning to visit this Christmas.. he is planning to propose at Christmas... I think that means that they will be married next summer, summer 2024!!! They talk about everything... so even though it is not yet official... they are already discussing having the wedding HERE in the small next door church.... she wants to convert.... ack.... I am now trying to help my son figure out what ring to buy, how to do visa paperwork, and how to support a wife on a student income!!!

By the way...we ALL love the woman. She is absolutely fantastic, and is his perfect match.

Kid 3, at the end of his first year of college got offered a job he could not refuse. Great pay with full benefits. So... I had to help him get his first apartment... he now lives 2hours away but drives home every weekend. The truck that he and his brother, kid 4 changed the transmission on (rebuilt transmission), the new to him transmission busted after... maybe a month??? So he is having to drive our super terrible backup junker. He is saving up as much as he can, and working hard to spend as little as possible... so that at the end of a year he will be able to afford a decent used car. He refuses to get a car with a loan since his job, though great, is brand new. He has signed up for 1 online college class this fall. He wants to get a degree in instrumentation, so he can move over to that if/ when his current welding job ends. (It is a full time job, with overtime... but he is a proactive young man. He knows he doesn't want to weld for the rest of his life)

Kid 4 has been working to get his Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts, and is still making 20 an hour doing odd jobs for people around town. This year is his last year of High school. So, this fall he is taking 1 college class, an intro English one.

Kid 5 HAS A GIRL FRIEND!!!! :eek::eek:Sheesh!!! And he only just turned 15 this summer!!!!!... I did NOT have this issue with his brothers!!! He had his first "real" job this summer, a job in construction. Lots of hard work, decent pay.

Kid 5 is in 10th this year.

Spouse and I are still trucking along.

Oh... Kid 5 has a permanent tooth that is in the totally wrong place!! I have been driving him up to Anchorage once a week, 3 weeks in a row.... the tooth in the wrong place is below the gum line. We had to get him surgery to expose the tooth... and now it is being gently pulled with a chain... out and over... we should now only have to go to Anchorage (5 hours away) and at times only Soldotna (2 hours away) every 3 to 4 weeks. Either it will all work out... or some of his front teeth will die... yeah... sheesh... a 16 year old with... dentures? A bridge? Whatever

Crazy!
Sounds like they all pretty well have a handle on life. As long as they are happy. I hope Kid 5's tooth issue gets sorted out. It would be a shame to have dentures at that age. Surely not. We'll keep positive thoughts on that.
Maybe Kid 3 can find a transmission in a wrecking yard at a decent price?

Sounds like they all pretty well have a handle on life. As long as they are happy. I hope Kid 5's tooth issue gets sorted out. It would be a shame to have dentures at that age. Surely not. We'll keep positive thoughts on that.
Maybe Kid 3 can find a transmission in a wrecking yard at a decent price?
Yeah.. I am not sure what he, kid 3, will decide to do.

I just got a call from him actually... he got pulled over for speeding.... -sigh- and speeding more than he should....

Of course when I was that age... I got pulled over for speeding on a regular basis... so... I am not one to talk :oops:

Yeah.. I am not sure what he, kid 3, will decide to do.

I just got a call from him actually... he got pulled over for speeding.... -sigh- and speeding more than he should....

Of course when I was that age... I got pulled over for speeding on a regular basis... so... I am not one to talk :oops:
Yea, it happens. I didn't get pulled over much but only because I was lucky..I had two speeds. Sitting at a stop sign or foot to the floor.

Back
Top Bottom