Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Same night as day length tomorrow is everywhere :frow
Huh.... ok.... I had to look it up.

There is some variation, but slight... I am only about an hour and a half less light than Houston, Texas.

Houston is at latitude 30, and I am at latitude 59, so almost 30 degrees difference.

6:46 AM
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 (CDT)
Dawn in Houston, TX

7:43 PM
Tuesday, September 21, 2021 (CDT)
Dusk in Houston, TX

And

7:11 AM
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 (AKDT)
Dawn in Homer, AK

8:48 PM
Tuesday, September 21, 2021 (AKDT)
Dusk in Homer, AK

Washington state
Autumnal Equinox Sunrise - 06:57 AM
Autumnal Equinox Sunset - 07:06 PM
Autumnal Equinox Day Duration - 12 Hours 09 Mins 36 Secs
Autumnal Equinox Previous Day Duration - 12 Hours 13 Mins 01 Sec
Autumnal Equinox Next Day Duration - 12 Hours 06 Mins 12 Secs

Washington state
Autumnal Equinox Sunrise - 06:57 AM
Autumnal Equinox Sunset - 07:06 PM
Autumnal Equinox Day Duration - 12 Hours 09 Mins 36 Secs
Autumnal Equinox Previous Day Duration - 12 Hours 13 Mins 01 Sec
Autumnal Equinox Next Day Duration - 12 Hours 06 Mins 12 Secs
Ok.... I had to look into it more....

The problem is that I am always looking at civil day length, because that is what pops up in a quick Google when looking for day length.

But... technically, civil day length actually starts when the center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

If you measure from the center of the sun at the horizon, then the day lengths at different latitudes are much closer in length to each other and to 12 hours in length at the equinoxes.

Crazy stuff.

Civil day length is what is usually used for hunting regulations, street light regulations, etc.

But.... here goes with that crazy base six number system.... thanks city of Uhr.

Civil daylight is 6 degrees center of sun below the horizon (and every time I hear "horizon" I always think "when looking at pointy mountains? Or looking out on the ocean???" But, moving on).

Nautical twilight is when the center of the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon, and Astronomical twilight is when the center of the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon.

The difference in time between the center of the sun at the horizon, and the center of the sun at 6 degrees below the horizon is a much larger number the close you get to the poles.

If you look at civil daylight times.... you get to 12 hours of daylight on Oct. 24 in Houston, Texas, and on October 10 in Homer, Alaska.

But, if you measure from center of sun at horizon for sunrise and sunset, you are at 12 hours day length in September.

Well... that well spin your brain.

The problem is that I am always looking at civil day length, because that is what pops up in a quick Google when looking for day length.

But... technically, civil day length actually starts when the center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

If you measure from the center of the sun at the horizon, then the day lengths at different latitudes are much closer in length to each other and to 12 hours in length at the equinoxes.

Crazy stuff.

Civil day length is what is usually used for hunting regulations, street light regulations, etc.

But.... here goes with that crazy base six number system.... thanks city of Uhr.

Civil daylight is 6 degrees center of sun below the horizon (and every time I hear "horizon" I always think "when looking at pointy mountains? Or looking out on the ocean???" But, moving on).

Nautical twilight is when the center of the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon, and Astronomical twilight is when the center of the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon.

The difference in time between the center of the sun at the horizon, and the center of the sun at 6 degrees below the horizon is a much larger number the close you get to the poles.

If you look at civil daylight times.... you get to 12 hours of daylight on Oct. 24 in Houston, Texas, and on October 10 in Homer, Alaska.

But, if you measure from center of sun at horizon for sunrise and sunset, you are at 12 hours day length in September.

I use civil daylight times all the time w running, chickening, etc. "When will I be able to still do stuff outside and not fall over my own two feet?!"

Crazy stuff.

Huh?

Good morning, pond!
Took this guy for an early morning run in a neighborhood a little closer to town (safe, fewer bears and mountain lions than my neighborhood!)...
IMG_20210911_111931143.jpg

But there were still lots of wild life out (full-ish moon) and we made it past the deer and the bob cat/fox looking creature and all the other things he wanted to chase... We were just rounding the bend back to the car when suddenly he broke his chain - for a skunk. A skunk.
Thanks Pete. That's how I wanted to start my day.

Back
Top Bottom